Chapter 24- Then

Jake's POV
We came across a deserted highway, full of cars and supplies, a short while after I woke up. The RV came to a stop and I hadn't noticed it before, but Daryl was riding the motorcycle. He tried to swerve in between the cars, the RV following close behind.

*BOOM*

The RV stopped and started to smoke.

"I told ya, didn't I?" Dale muttered to himself.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Goddamn radiator hose." He answered.

"Can't you duct tape it?" I asked.

"Hose is made mostly of duct tape now, and we're fresh out."

"Fuck." I muttered and stood up to exit the RV.

"What the hell was that?" Shane asked.

"Radiator hose. We can probably find one to replace it in one of these vehicles." I told him.

"Yeah, maybe we can find some supplies while we're at it." Daryl added.

"I don't feel right about this, it's a graveyard." Lori stated.

"Hey, a lot of this stuff can benefit us." I told her and she shook her head.

I walked up to one of the nearby trucks and glanced in. It was a guy with his brains blown out. Poor guy, I thought to myself. I opened the door and checked the shotgun in his lap. It looked fine to me and the man had a box of shells next to him.

I brought them back to the RV. Rick nodded. I set them in the gun bag that Dale held for us.

Andrea and Dale sat on top of the RV. They were our lookouts. It was nice to have, I guess. Just then a slight breeze slipped by, giving off a horrible stench. The wind was blowing from the opposite side of the highway.

I looked over to the source of the smell and then I seen it. A herd of walkers came towards us. Dale and Andrea noticed at the same time and they both looked me, worried.

"Get down!" Dale whispered.

I ignored his request as I ran to find Amy and Tommy. A hand grabbed me from behind and I assumed it was a walker, so I raised my knife as I turned around and noticed the source of the hand was Amy's. She pulled me under a car with her and Tommy.

I looked to the other side of the highway and noticed the others under some of the other cars, a sudden rush of relief passed through me.

I looked at Tommy and Amy, they both had the same worried look on their faces. Tommy looked like he wanted to cry, to say something. I quickly put my hand over his mouth and soothed him.

"It'll be okay, buddy. You gotta be quiet. Pretend this is a game. If you stay quiet the whole time, I'll give you a surprise." I whispered lowly to him.

He nodded his head and I slowly let my hand go from his face. He was quiet the rest of the time, but him and amy both looked worried.

The walkers finally seemed to pass by and I looked around the car I was under and once I knew it was clear, I got out and looked around the other cars. There were no more walkers so I signaled Amy to get out from under the car. As she was getting out with Tommy, I heard a blood curdling scream.

The scream came behind me, so I looked back to see Sophia running towards the woods, two walkers right behind her and I chased after the three. Rick came running as well only a short distance behind myself.

Another walker came out of nowhere and crashed on top of me, biting at my face. Rick stopped to help me.

"Go! Go help her! I'll be fine!" I yelled to him as I still struggled with the walker.