Chapter 13: What Legend

Chapter 13: What Legend?

"As we know there has not been a gold wolf in 10,000 years. Legends say that when a golden wolf walks the lands, everyone will unite. The world will know true peace and all creatures will gain beautifully. The tree of life will grow stronger and the leaves will reach the end of the land where all creatures will gain from the tree. The golden wolf is not just a wolf, she is our hope and savior. A poem is passed from Fae to Fae, each group has their own version of it but, it is all the same.

When she walks the lands,

He will fail in his plans,

She will guide us home,

When she takes her throne,

Once she finds her place in this world,

The fates will untwirl,

The threads that held us,

Will no longer distrust,

The true ruler of all,

The Golden Wolf we call.

This is what we are fighting for, this is our hope, what we are wishing for." Lenna finishes softly, her parents nodding in agreement.

Wow I have never heard that poem before. It truly inspired me to be what they need us to be. What do you think about it Em? Cam whispered in my head.

I agree. I think. I am scared though Cam. I am still just a child myself. Who says I can truly be what the people need me to be? The whole world? That is a lot of pressure on a 15-year-old. I start to shake and I can feel my throat closing in, heart racing I know what is happening. I sink to the ground, hyperventilating.

"Emersyn! Breath Em! I've got you." Lenna says trying to remain calm while I have a panic attack.

Emmy, calm down. No one said we have to be all of those things right now. We are new and the fae are excited to have us. We have time, time to train, time to learn the ropes. No matter what happens we will always have each other. I will always protect you, Emersyn. I am you just as you are me.

Cam's words send a rush a of comfort through me and I start to regain my breathing. Staying on the ground I look up at Lenna, "I dunno if I can be what you want me to be," tears fall down my cheeks as my voice cracks, I am struggling to breathe. "I am beyond scared and I am alone in this. I left my home, my family, my friends. And now I am being told I am supposed to be the savior. What am I supposed to save? How am I supposed to save anyone when I cannot protect myself?" By this point I start to yell. My voice betraying my inner most fears. Cam stays silent, recognizing my fears as valid and letting me express them.

Leola drops to her knees and pulls me into a hug tightly, "Sweetie, you are correct. You are young, and you did leave everything behind. But you are also the golden wolf. And you are stronger than you know. We will all stand by you until you are ready to venture out and become one with your destiny. I am sure your wolf is telling you the same thing; nothing will happen without your consent. There will be training to complete and trails to overcome. You will meet with the royalty of all the fae, along with other magical creatures you've only heard of in fairy tales. But this is completely your decision. I want you to be confident and comfortable with whatever you choose to do. Until then, let us get to bed to rest."

Leola nodded at Alandore and he picked me up and carried me off to my chambers with Lenna trailing behind. Cam stayed curled up in my head, quiet as a mouse. I could feel her uncertainty with the turn of events with my fears stained her view.

"Lori! Run a hot bath for Miss. Emersyn," Leola's soft voice turned firm upon entering my antechambers. "After helping her bathe help her get into bed."

Lori bows and rushes off to do as she's told while Alandore seats me on the sofa. "I wish you good luck and a sweet slumber my lady," Alandore says before leaving the room. Leola hugs me and follows behind her husband.

"Do you wish for me to stay and help?" Lenna asks softly?
"No, thank you. I wish to be alone. I will call around dinner if I am feeling up to it if that is okay," I respond softly.

"Of course, dear. You've had a bit of a shock. You take all the time you need." Lenna leaves, closing the door behind her.

"Lori, can you help me out of these clothes? I am feeling weak after my panic attack. I honestly don't feel up to a bath, I just want to sleep."

"Of course, Emersyn. Let me. Are you sure you do not wish to take a bath?" Lori asks as she draws my bed down.

I stumble into the bed chambers and fight to take off the dress, "Maybe when I wake up. Right now, I just need sleep."

Lori pulls the zipper and I collapse into the bed.

Darkness awaits me on the other side.