Talking About The Past

"Hey Janette. Where have you been? I've been waiting here for ten minutes! Why weren't you on the bus this morning?" Dianne asked walking over to me.

"Hey Dianne! Sorry Aljaz dropped a pretty big bombshell and he wanted to make sure I got here safely!"

"What's going on?" Dianne asked taking me by the arm.

"Don't tell anyone just yet, but his parents escaped from prison last night along with three others, he's worried that they're going to come here and try and hurt me when he's not here to protect me."

"Wait how the hell did they manage to escape? The security must be pretty bad around them if they managed to get out that easily!"

"That's exactly what I said, but what I don't understand, is why escape now? What are the planning?"I said shuddering.

"Janette don't worry about them. I highly doubt they would come here, surely everyone knows what they did to you?"

"No no one knows. Well no one here anyway. I can never talk about that again!"

"Maybe it would be worth mentioning it to our head teacher? Just go and see her before class and explain what's going on and what happened. I'm sure she'll understand."

"I'll go and see her just now, can you tell Mr Fraser that I'm going to be late?"

"Yeah I'll tell him, you sure you want to go by yourself? I can come with you?"

"No it's fine I can go myself. I'm a big girl!" I said laughing.

"Okay see you later!" Dianne said giving me a hug and I walked to Mrs Gilbert's office and knocked on the door.

"Good morning Janette!"

"Hi Mrs Gilbert, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Of course, what's up?"

I walked in and closed the door, I took a deep breath and tried to hold in my tears.

"Janette are you okay? Has something happened?"

"I just need to tell you about something. Something that happened a long time ago but I was reminded about it today."

"Janette you're scaring me... what happened?"

"It's nothing you need to be scared of! Five years ago, I was kidnapped and attacked by my current boyfriends Mum, and his Dad covered it up and they were sent to prison for fifteen years, but we found out this morning that they escaped last night and they haven't been caught yet. I wanted to tell you incase they came here looking for me."

"Oh my god Janette, I can't believe you went through something like that! But how can you be sure that they'll come here? Surely they don't know that you study here?"

"They'll find a way, they always find a way to find me! I felt safe when they were in prison but now that they've escaped I don't feel safe anymore!" I said finally letting the tears that I'd been holding in fall from my eyes. All the memories from that night suddenly came flooding back and I couldn't get rid of them.

"Oh Janette it's okay!" Mrs Gilbert said handing me a tissue. "You are so brave for telling me this! You don't have to go to class today, you can go home if you want."

"Thank you Mrs Gilbert, but I have an exam next week that I need to study for, I'll be okay I have Dianne to look after me. I just wanted to make you aware of the situation. Am I okay to keep my phone on me today incase Aljaz messages me?"

"Yes of course Janette, that's no problem. I'll send Mr Fraser an email incase he has any problems. If you ever need to talk, I'm here okay?"

"Thanks Miss!"

I felt so much better after telling Mrs Gilbert about what had happened, that was the first time I had spoken about it since it happened.

"Hey are you okay? I can tell you've been crying." Dianne said as I sat down beside her .

"Yeah I'm fine, just that was my first time talking about it since it happened and it was horrible thinking about it again."

"Janette and Dianne stop talking!! Janette, you have the cheek to sit and disrupt my class when you were ten minutes late!!"

"Mr Fraser I'm having a bad day okay! Mrs Gilbert has emailed you about it." I said trying to hold my tears in. I was not crying here in front of everyone.