Seventeen

{Johnson's POV}

Hesitantly, the boy takes the phone. He looks from Jack to Lizzie to me. "Felix," he says looking at Lizzie. "My name is Felix." He looks down at the phone and taps a couple times. He brings it to his ear.

Felix waits a minute. He smiles when someone answers. "Hi mom!" He says. Wait. "I'm okay!" His voice is deepish but when he says it like this it's higher.

"I love you too."

Those 4 words make me smile. The words I told Lizzie. Well, and got pushed down for saying.

He takes a deep breath. He continues to talk but I remember something. Marge is still after us.

I touch Lizzie's arm. She turns to look at me. "Marge," I whisper.

Her eyes get wide. "Felix," She whispers. He looks up, still holding the phone to his ear. "We have to go!" This time she grabs my hand, not Jack's. But when I lean foreword, I realize she's also holding his.

"Mom," Felix says into the phone. "I need to go....No! I need to go!" And he hangs up. He has tears in his eyes.

He shoves the phone into his pocket and stands up. "Wait," I say as he stands up. "How did you still have your phone?"

"They let me keep it, to annoy me, I'm guessing." He starts to move toward the door.

We make it out easy. Right down the hall, Lizzie notices a door. When we clammer out, I can see the car ahead.

We bolt ahead. Jack carries Lizzie. I stay behind with Felix. "Which one of you is her boyfriend?" He asks all of a sudden.

"Him." I point foreword. "His name is Jack."

"What's your name?"

"Jack, but my friends call me Johnson," I tell him as we reach the SUV. "That's my last name."

I climb into the car. "Why don't they call him by his last name?"

Jack chimes in. "Yeah Jack? Why don't they?"

Felix looks at Jack. "You don't know?"

He points to the patch on his head. "I lost my memory," he says. I hear Lizzie's nose sniff. She's in the shotgun and I'm behind her.

I set my head on the shoulder of the seat and rub her shoulder. "It's okay, Liz."

"No. He's just never gonna remember."

Felix frowns. I slump back in my seat. "Sorry, I didn't mean--" He stammers.

"It's fine." I take a deep breath. "Jack, just drive."

"Uh, Jack," he mumbles. He turns back to me, hands still on the wheel. "I don't know how to drive..."

***********************************

Wow it's been a while. sorry

~Alex