Chapter 12

In the end, Kuroo was right, not that Tsukishima would admit it. The former captain had a big enough ego as it was. Tsukishima sat in Takeda's office looking over two different scholarship offers. One a full scholarship for a school in Miyagi and the other a partial scholarship for one in Tokyo, not the school he really wanted. Some part of him had hoped to go to the same university as Kuroo, not that he'd talked about it to anyone. He'd been accepted but there was no way he was going to be able to cover full tuition. Partial tuition though, if Tsukishima got a job then he could probably manage it.

"I... I'm going to accept the Tokyo offer." He set both letters down and turned his gaze to Takeda.

"Are you sure Tsukishima-Kun? You can take a little more time to think about it."

"No, there's no reason for me to stay in Miyagi anymore. I'll go to Tokyo."

"Alright then let's get your formal acceptance drafted and sent out," Takeda says cheerfully.

"Yes sir. Thank you for your help." Tsukishima bows a bit.

"It's no problem at all Tsukishima-Kun!" They work together to get the letter drafted and sent. Tsukishima thinks about calling Kuroo and telling him that soon they'll live in the same city again. He wonders how far Kuroo's apartment is from the campus if he could get away with sleeping there some nights.

Yamaguchi and Yachi are going on a date after school so Tsukishima finds himself walking home alone for once. He drops the letter at the post office, taking a picture as he slides it into the mailbox. He blurs out the college information on the picture and then texts it to Kuroo.

Tsukishima: *image* decision made.

He waits a few minutes for a response but when none comes he slides his phone back into his pocket and continues on his way back to the Yamaguchi house. He still can't get used to having a key for the house or being in Yamaguchi's room when no one else is home. It doesn't feel right. He sets himself up on the floor of Yamaguchi's bedroom and takes out his textbooks to study.

Yamaguchi comes home at some point, as do his parents. They sit around the table and talk about their day and Tsukishima tries not to think about his own family. What they're having for dinner or what his mom might have done that day. He thinks about calling her. Maybe when his dad is still at work. He could tell her about how far they got in nationals and that he got a volleyball scholarship to a college in Tokyo. That he wasn't sure what he wanted to study. Maybe she could give him some advice.

Tsukishima excuses himself early and goes back to studying in the bedroom. He checks his phone and tries not to be too disappointed when there's still no response from Kuroo. He knows that the older man is a student. He's probably studying or in a class. Tsukishima takes his shower and gets ready for bed then settles down on his futon to read a book until Yamaguchi comes into the room. He checks his phone once more before going to bed.

***

The sound of his phone ringing jerks Tsukishima awake. He hears Yamaguchi mumble up on the bed and feels around for his glasses. It must be his phone that's ringing. He finds it where it's plugged in near the futon and squints his eyes against the brightness as he reads the caller ID.

Kuroo. Kuroo is calling him at four in the morning. He has a weird feeling in his chest as he answers.

"Kuroo?"

"Tsukki... Shit, you're sleeping... I... I didn't see the time. I... " Kuroo takes a deep breath. His voice sounds wrong.

"It's okay. What's wrong?"

"I... It's nothing I'll... I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Kuroo-san, I'm already awake now. Talk." Tsukishima sits up and runs his hand through his hair. He sees Yamaguchi watching him from under his blanket.