Chapter 9

TW: Sexual Assault/Violence

Sage POV
   It has been two weeks since the charity gala and I've been avoiding Roman at all costs. He's been trying to speak to me any chance he could and, I completely ignored him.

I don't need anyone's pity.

He's been trying his best to get me to open up to him. He thinks that what happened that night, has previously occurred. Though he's right, he doesn't need to know that.

I've never told anyone about my past besides my cousin Mikey. He'd always push me to talk about my feelings or go to therapy but I'm just not interested.

I don't want to let anyone in because I don't want to be treated any differently. I've also done some very terrible things and I'm afraid of people knowing how much of a horrible person I actually am.

It all started when I was fifteen. Mom was a receptionist at the hospital at the time and she met David.  He was a doctor there for many years and they started to become close.

I don't know much of the details but, I do know that he began to take her on dates and, he made her so happy. On my fifteenth birthday, she introduced us and announced their engagement. I thought it was a little soon because they had only been dating for about seven or eight months.

I had never seen her that happy though and, David seemed like a very good guy. At that time.

They got married four months later and, that's when he got an offer to become a shareholder in an international pharmaceutical company. He took the job and he became increasingly more stressed.

He initially asked my mom to quit her job since he was going to make a lot more but, she refused since she had just been promoted to a nursing position. This was the beginning of many conflicts.

They started out being so in love and I really don't understand where it all went wrong.

The thing about David was, whenever he got frustrated, he went straight to the whiskey which, only increased his anger.

He would come home stressed from work and find any and everything he could to argue with mom about. Every night would be long screaming matches between the two.

One day, when I was 16, I came home from the library later than usual. As soon as I walked through the door, I heard the sound of glassing shattering. I tried to hurry past the dining room quietly but, they must have heard the footsteps because they both turned their attention to me.

Mom had a gash dripping with blood on her face and, David just stood there with the most evil look I had ever seen from him.

I immediately rushed up to my room. That was the first time I had ever seen a physical altercation between them.

The next morning, I got up and began to get ready for school. I felt really bad for mom but I was too much of a coward to say anything. David was truly starting to become terrifying.

I got out of the shower and went to my closet so I could pick an outfit for school. I walked back into my room to change and I was met with the sight of David sitting on my bed. I was very confused since he usually would be gone for work by then.

I asked him what he was doing in my room and I began to feel uncomfortable under his long gaze being that, I was only in a towel.

"You've really been a pain in the ass lately, you know that? You little bitch!" He spoke to me. I could smell the strong stench of alcohol on him.

He never drinks this early.

He grabbed my arm and roughly pulled me onto the bed. He told me that it was my fault that him and mom were having problems and that I shouldn't have walked in on them. He pinned me on the bed and was hovering over me.