That friend

Clara's Pov

"Clara Newton, stop right there", a tall figure said while leaning on one of the pillars on the school entrance. He was wearing an expensive white coat with intricate black embroidery on the right side. You don't even have to second guess. It's Jack Bowman, the school heart throb." What is it Jack?!", I asked him while half shouting, scared to the bones. There he goes again, smirking his way out. He combed his naturally glossy midnight hair with his lean fingers.

Subconsciously, I gulped while remembering what  Samantha Hoggins said in class three days and exactly one hour ago; "Ladies, I bet you can't imagine what those fingers do". I took the statement as a warning  but the other 'ladies' preened and hummed in knowing oneness. I imagined those fingers delightfully ripping my flesh apart. I shivered and prepared for a convulsion. "You cold or something? Here", Jack said. Wait, what?! Isn't this the scene where the killer attacks?

"I think you would be freezing pretty soon so you can have my coat", he added. It wasn't a lie. The temperature drops after every rainfall dramatically here and is really tough to handle for someone like me. "Oh I'm fine", I said while shooting daggers through my eyes. I was warning him to tread cautiously. He laughed and gave me a look none of us had ever seen before. Not even when Maryline told him she was sorry. Not even when we took the school group pictures. Not even when he got his own dream car. Not any time I could think of.

He gave me gentle look. The one you subconsciously let out of your hard core face when you find that trustworthy friend you've been looking for all your life. That friend, I guess he found that friend in me. "Miss Hampton wants you in school early by three hours. Is that fine?", he asked. It was definitely fine." Did she tell you why?", I asked back. He shook his head and in a second, the real Jack Bowman we all knew was back. Cold face and all.

"Be here early. Don't make her wait", he said flatly and turned around to go to his car. The chauffeur had already opened the door for him. Then gone, just like that. I sighed audibly and slung my backpack on one shoulder while preparing myself for my long trek. I walked out of the extra magnificent gates of the school. They always made me wonder if others had the same opportunities as me. I kind of felt sad but I'm used to it. That's what I do after every school day, sympathise for the unfortunate souls, of course not excluding myself.

I inhaled the sweet scent of newly mown grass mixed with the wafting scent of flowers from the school's sanctuary. I usually went there to take photos for the front cover of our school's weekly magazine. This year, just like all years, I was having issues with the SQUAD. Well, that's what they call themselves after all and their 'ruler', Leslie Queen Chapman, has been insisting on owning the front cover for the girl magazine, which is the one I put my photos on.

She used to be my best friend since middle school,the one true friend I had, until she became the student board head. At that time I tried to mend our relationship, which was slowly going downhill. The last straw was the day Jack came to this school. I couldn't help but reminiscence on that chapter of my life.

"Miss Clara Newton. Report in my office during lunch break",the principal said over the intercom. Clara sighed as she had to endure two hours of free time blown by Leslie's continuous bragging sessions." He's super hot and cute you guys would drool over him. It's like he walked out of a magazine. Oh big mistake. Those losers can't meet his standards and all I have to do is show him how good I am and no one...",Leslie said arrogantly but was cut of."Ooh~. And I'm sure you guys haven't seen Damien yet. The guy is smoking hot. It's like it runs in all the Bowman blood. If ruler gets Jack, then I as next in line get Damien no question until ruler decides. What is your opinion ruler, our Queen?", Regal ended by batting her eyelashes and smiling smugly, probably thinking of her mirage-like future of being with Damien. A habit of her's whenever she is admiring something or someone.

Leslie pinched the bridge of her nose slightly and fast. She raised her chin high to probably amplify her looks. She gave of a smile which did not reach her eyes. Product? A perfectly chilling aura." Regal my super sweet assistant can get what she wants",she said leaving Regal confused. "Um. So I can have him?",she asked." Do you have ears or your mum exchanged them for bricks?", Leslie asked harshly." Of course our ruler and our..."."But, as punishment for cutting me off, he gets to be my boy toy before you. Unfortunately for you, I've got my eyes on a prize so you've got to wait until I finish with my Jack in about approximately,Sharon,do the math".

Sharon a petite beauty pushed back her round pretty glasses and said,"Exactly 15 years our Queen and ruler". Leslie took in a deep breath through her nostrils gracefully while Regal silently cried inwardly at her loss." Yeah. Seems about the perfect time bracket for the over blooming stage of our love and no girl will look hotter than your slaying Queen in his eyes and of course the eyes of  you spectators", Leslie said with finality while all the other girls automatically sighed as well as their ruler, obviously day dreaming about the new boys."Remind me never to stay in the class when these girls go locoo again", Clara said inwardly to herself while shaking her head at their silliness. "Girls excluding me. Ugh. Definitely over dramatic ", she thought while getting up from her seat to grab early lunch which would be worthwhile instead of listening to those self deprived women present.

Clara walked out at her own comfortable pace, something she did a lot. Phones were allowed and it was free period for two hours. This was definitely a good distraction. She listened to a few English tunes after putting on her air pods but sang them in Korean. It was her learning aid. After skipping around halls to her heart's content, she headed for the cafeteria. "Hello Wyonna. Good afternoon", Clara said to the catering assistant. Wyonna was tall and had the body of a super model. She had toned dark skin which was complemented by her long silky black hair. She was wearing jeans jumpsuit with a whit crop top underneath. She had opened the flaps exposing her toned flat tummy and the top, finishing it off by tying a white sweater around her waist, matching it with a pair of white converse.

"And what brings you here early, huh?", Wyonna asked while smirking." Probably found your prince charming,eh?", she added. Clara just rolled her eyes and mouthed the word no." Was just thinking~", said Wyonna in a sing-song manner while she shrugged.  "Shut that imagination off. It harbors some creepy thoughts", Clara said. "Whatever. Here are your tacos. Have fun today and don't smoke from your ears a lot when your angry. It'll scare the guys away. Well goodbye Clara", Wyonna said with a wide smile and made a small wave for the now disappearing girl."Youth", she said while sighing audibly.

After finishing the meal, Clara went to the principal's office, all the while curious of what the principal wanted.