Chapter 22

Rowan POV

I had to wake up early to go to school. On set. My eyes were exhausted and I felt like passing out right here and there. I sit in my seat and listen to the teacher. What felt like ages had only ben hours.

My phone vibrated sending a chill down my spine. I checked it, --even though I'm still in class-- and it was a text from Peyton.

Peyton: Hey

Me: Hey

Peyton: I was wondering, if after school we could hang out?

Me: Sounds great!

Peyton: Awesome! See you then Rowboat.

Me: But you're here. On the set of school. With me.

Peyton: Oh, I knew that.

I smile at the texts he gives me. They're always something worth reading. I turn my head to face him; and he's literally a few feet away. He smiles at me and I blush.

"Rowan!" The teacher snaps her fingers. "Pay attention."

I blink. "Sorry, I will."

"Good." She smiles and goes back to her lecture.

"Psst." I hear someone whisper. I slowly turn my head to the left. He smiles at me and hands me a note. "It's a note." Corey says. "From Peyton."

I hesitantly take the note from his hands. I unfold it, glancing at the note and and the teacher. I do this until the note is fully unfolded. I stare at the scribbled words small enough to fit in the torn piece of paper.

It reads:

Hey, Row. You look pretty today. I was hoping that you'll like to go out to In-N-Out Burger together. I didn't feel like texting you this, since I know that texts aren't actually really private.

- Love Peyton

I smile. I read the note over three times. What I don't understand is why he's scared to text. I know he said that texts aren't really private. Maybe he's still wants to keep us a secret. A secret from the world. A secret from my parents. A secret form his parents. A secret from our friends. Excluding Sabrina.

"Blanchard!" The teacher snaps.

I flinch back and smile embarrassedly. "Uh, yes?"

"Would you care to share the note your were just reading?"

"Not really."

She gives me a hard look.

"I mean- sure! Why not?" I smile sarcastically. I plop up form my seat. I glance at Peyton before walking up next to the teacher. "Um..." I hesitate. "Do I have to?"

"Yes."

I take a shaky breath. "Okay." I look at the note. Then look at the class. Which are also my co-stars. I close my eyes and breathe in and out. I can't tell them. I can't tell anyone. I open my eyes and look at Peyton. He frowns.

"It says: Hey, Row. Just wondering what shampoo you use. Your hair is so bouncy and shiny. I've always wanted to ask, but was too shy to ask about your hair." I fake smile. I had to make up the words as I pretended to read the note. Not the best I've come up with.

She gives me a look. "Who's it from?"

"W-Who's it from?" I repeat. She nods. "It-It's from Peyton."

The class laughs and look at Peyton. "You want to use girls' shampoo?"

I bite my lip and smile sadly at Peyton. "Sorry." I mouth. His face slowly turns a light shade of red. I embarrassed him. Why hadn't I just read out loud the actual note?