You Have Got to be Kidding Me

Athena brings Mark into a bed in the ER. With wide eyes, April rushes over. "What in the world happened?" April asks with a concerned face. Athena lets out a sigh, "Derek and Mark got into a fistfight," she pauses, "Over me, how sweet?" April lets out a laugh. "Hey Apes, can you page Callie for his hand," Athena asks. "Sure," April walks over to the phone. Mark the whole time is silent. Why isn't he joking? He would love to crack a joke at this. Hm. Athena was a bit worried. Mark was silent and just looked into the distance. Athena waited for Callie and tried to talk to Mark. No answer. Athena got worried, upset, and mad. She let out a huff and walked out of the ER. Passing Callie down a hallway, tears in her eyes. Callie asked what's wrong, but Athena just kept going into the stairwell. Athena was more mad than upset anymore. 

     Athena sat in the stairwell when she hears a door open. Tears in her eyes, she quickly wiped them and got up. Mark. Mark came to find her. "Athena, can we please talk?" Athena was pissed now, "Oh now you wanna talk." Mark looks at her in regret, "Athena we have to break up whatever this is. I can't walk around being punched by Derek." Athenas eyes filled with tears when she heard this. She rushed up the stairs and rushed outside. Derek saw her running out. Derek tried to follow her, but she kept running. "Thena, stop. What's wrong?" "I loved him. And he's gone. He doesn't love me anymore." Derek took her into a bear hug. Athena walked across to the bar. Jackson was there, they talked, and Athena got blackout drunk.

     The next morning, Athena woke up, and Jackson was there. "Oh, shit." Jackson just stared at her. Athena and Jackson reached in closer to each other. Jackson quite literally sweeping her off her feet. He threw her onto the bed and joined her. They did the *McDirty* before hearing a knock at the door. Athena quickly grabbed one of Jacksons' shirts. She answered the door, laughing, or at least trying to hold it back. Her face when she opened the door. Mark. She quickly slammed the door and ran back to Jackson. Continuing where they left off. "Who was that?" "Oh, just some girl scouts asking for us to buy cookies." Suddenly, a pound on the door, "Avery, let me in." Jackson rushed to the door. "Oh, Mark. Funny seeing you here. Um, ignore who you saw answer the door." Jackson panicked and slammed the door too. Mark let out a defeated sigh and walked away. Athena lets out a shocked sigh. "Dammit. Dammit. We're late." They both looked at each other with panicked eyes. Athena let out a weak cough. "Sick." Jackson followed. "Must be too." They both quickly called out sick. Athena and Jackson shared an exchanged look of let's do this again. 

Weeks later:

Mark and Athena were no longer a thing, not speaking to each other. No exchanged looks like the past. Jackson and Athena though were still *McDirtying* and were very happy. Athena didn't really process the whole 'Mark' thing. April and Matthew were getting married in a few days. Jackson was obviously invited, and Athena was a plus one. This would be the first time she would see Mark outside the hospital. 

Day of the Wedding: 

Athena slept at Jacksons' that night. She got ready early and was absolutely stunning. She and Jackson were now public and Mark was pissed. "Athena Shepherd, you look absolutely gorgeous," Jackson said with confidence. "Not too bad either Jackson Avery."

(April is Athena) 

(April is Athena) 

The officiant, "Any objections?" Jackson took a deep breath and stood up. Athenas eyes were wide open. "April, I love everything about you, even the things I don't like, I love. And I want you with me. I love you and I think you do too. Do you?" Athena looked up, shocked at what happened. April looks down at Jackson, back at Matthew. April rushed down to Jackson, and they run out of the chapel. Athena stands up and runs out of there as well. As she was running, she was laughing. Shock maybe, or just that she was done. She slowed down to a fast walk. "You have got to be kidding me."

Weeks Later: 

Athena gets paged down for a trauma. She gowns up and starts accessing the patient. "Get me a trauma series, head and abdominal CT, and page Plastics for these burns." She fills out the chart, looks up, and notices Mark and Jackson. She let out a sigh, "Someone page me when we get the CT results back. She rips off her gown and slams the door. 

Derek walks into the trauma room. "I was hoping if anyone saw my sister?" Derek asked. "Which one?" a nurse asks. "Both." Mark looks up, "Athena just walked out. I didn't do anything, just walked in." Derek rolls his eyes, "Of course she walked out, you were here. She can't bear to look at you." Mark lets out a defeated sigh. 

Derek finally finds Amelia and Athena. "Well, mom is coming to town." Amelia and Athena were in the same boat. Disliked, and couldn't care less about their family and sisters. "Oh crap, I will not be dealing with her," Amelia shouted. "Neither will I. Tell her we died or something." Derek looked at Athena with a confused and concerning look. "What? I- ok not appropriate. Tell her we are kicking some neuro-ass in somewhere- Canada! No one can hate on Cana- No! Switzerland! Neutral." Derek looked at her with a confused look again. Amelia high-fived her. "And we don't need no Derek, just 2 badass WOMAN neuro surgeons kicking some neuro ass." Athena let out a giggle, "More like it" Derek sighed and rolled his eyes.