They Tell Me I'm a God

Derek and Amelia had left to see their mom, and Athena couldn't care less than if she sees her mom or not. Athena has always been known as the "Unknown Shepherd." She always had been invalidated or called a liar because even though Derek and Amelia were her siblings, no one ever knew about her or was never talked about. Derek and Amelia had flown out to New York to have a nice week away from Seattle. Amelia was hesitant, and so was Derek, but they both decided to go in the end. 

     Athena woke up to her alarm going off. She groaned and rolled out of bed, and took a shower. She hopped out of the shower and went to work. Since both Amelia and Derek had been away, she got to run neuro for the whole week. Noticing her charts and the OR board, she had noticed Mark staring at her. When she notices Mark walking over to her, she closes her charts and rolls her eyes. "My favorite Shepherd, heyyy!" Mark was giving her a look like he did something wrong. Athena, against her greater judgment, decided to give him a chance. She noticed his look. "Oh dammit, Mark, what in the holy hell did you do?" Mark gave an apologetic look, "I slept with her," pointing to a neuro scrub nurse, who happened to be one of Athena's favorites.  Athena spat out her coffee, "Oh, Mark." She gave a laugh and a pat on the back. "Speaking of nurses, I am being paged down to the pit," Athena spat out as she jogged away. Mark smirked and walked towards the patient rooms. 

     As Athena walked down into the ER, she noticed it pretty empty. She noticed two idiot interns working on a patient. The interns brought the young patient up to the elevator. She walked over to the nurse's desk and asked what bed needed her. As she got updated on the patient, she finished signing some discharge patients she worked on earlier, some concussions, and no cool neuro case. Athena told the nurses to page her when the patient was back from getting a CT. April walked over, and she talked with her before she got paged upstairs. One of the interns rushed over with the CT results to the nurse, "Here! I don't even know what to do! We need some neuro god or something." The nurse gave a shocked look and pointing in Athena's direction. The intern giving a snarky look, "I said neuro GOD. Not some fellow." The nurse clearly tired of the interns, "I will page her again." Athena walked over, and the interns walked away. "Those interns are looking for you. And here is the chart." Athena rolled her eyes, "Thank you. Poor kid." The interns walked over to Athena. "Hey, we need to know where the neuro god is." "I am. Neuro god is here," Athena snapped. "Oh, I thought neuro god would be a boy or something, but I guess you work," the intern muttered. Athena cleared her throat and pointed to her name tag, Athena Shepherd, M.D., Trauma and Neurosurgeon."Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, Dr. Shepherd." Athena, clearly pissed off, "Yeah, ok, give me the scans." The intern quickly gave her the scans. Athena held them up, "That is the largest spinal tumor I have ever seen." 

     Athena rushed away towards one of the rooms where she could review the scans in private. Mark walks in with some scans. "Woah. That's why I went into plastics." Athena let out a laugh into a defeated sigh, "Yep," really popping the p. She spun around in her rollie chair, staring up at the ceiling. "I'm done. I'm telling the patient I can't-" Athenas phone started to ring, 

"Derek! Amelia! What's up?"

"Hey. So we got stuck with a patient here, and we can't leave. We are gonna be gone at least another 2 weeks." 

"Oh," Athena let out, "Um, yeah, that's fine. Gotta go bye." Athena quickly hung up before they could get a word out.

     Mark heard the conversation had Athena had it on speaker. "Woah, Woah, you can't tell the patient you can't do it," Mark pointed to the age, "He's 7; you can't give up on a 7-year-old." "Dammit, Mark, you're right." Athena had checked her phone, almost 11 o'clock. "Ya'know, sitting here, tired, isn't going to do much. Why don't I go back? Come back in the morning." "Come over to my place, and we can get pizza and just talk," Athena asked Mark. "That sounds good. Lexie gonna be there?" Ya know she has my eye for neuro." Lexie, Mark, and Athena walked out of the hospital. 

     "Sometimes it helps if I draw it out, like a diagram almost." Athenas eyes lit up, "Lex! You are so right; I need to take a step back and draw it out! Mark! Pass me markers." Athena shot up and caught the markers. She started to draw on her wall. As Athena kept drawing, she explained as she went along. After rambling on for hours, she looked over at Mark and Lexie. Lexie had snuck out, and Mark passed out on her couch. 

      The next morning, Mark had already made Athena coffee. Athena rolled out of bed, knowing she had a later shift due to reconstruction in the hospital. Athena took her coffee, and slowly sipped it, staring at the tumor on her wall. "I must say, that is one beautiful tumor." "Yeah, I guess it is. So intricate and smart," Mark finally understood a bit. "Yeah, you're right." Athena kissed Mark before going to get changed. Mark and Athena had been dating before she even came to Seattle. Mark suddenly heard Derek, Amelia, and Athena fighting, and he ran to see what was happening. 

"Derek, I CAN handle this."

"No, you cannot; you're hardly a surgeon. Your- you're like an intern, stupid, reckless."

"Says the one who slept with one."

"Do NOT bring Meredith into this," Derek noticed Mark in the background, "Ay- um- Mark, tell her she is an inexperienced, baby surgeon who CANNOT handle a surgery like this."

Mark looked back and forth, speechless.

"Ohhh, do NOT bring Mark into this."

"Then don't bring my name into this."

"Your name, Derek. YOUR NAME?!" Athena was on the verge of tears.

"Yeah! The Shepherds, neurosurgeons who paralyzed a 7-year-old after an inexperienced surgeon op-"

"DEREK! SHUT UP! IF YOU WANTED THE SURGERY, YOU COULD HAVE SAID SO! WHY DON'T I SEND HIM YOUR WAY! ALL THE WAY TO NEW YORK! WITH OUR MOM!" 

Derek's face turned fiery red, "ATHENA! STOP! JUST STOP! YOU'RE AN INEXPERIENCED SURGEON WHO CANNOT HANDLE THIS AND NEEDS TO GO BACK TO LEARN HOW TO BE A SURGEON! NOT TO JUMP INTO SOMETHING YOU CANNOT HANDLE."

Athena was now sobbing, "Fine, Derek, you know, fine." Mark was consoling Athena, who had hung up the phone. Athena had curled up into a ball on the floor, sobbing uncontrollably; Mark was hugging her closely. Athena had eventually fallen asleep into Marks's arms. Mark carried her into her bed and called work, saying they can't come in today.