BREWING CHANGE

Taking a deep breath, She picked the next call which was just coming into her phone.
"Hello" she sounded confident. "Hello Onome!!!! Tega screamed into the phone. Onome fidgeted at first. She thought this would be easy. But the terror from his screams almost swallowed her up. This is not going easy as imagined.

"Tega calm down" she said gently.
After a few seconds, it seemed he yielded her advice.
"How are you? I have been calling you repeatedly for ages."
Tega replied sounding depleted of energy.

"I'm fine. I went out for a meeting on women empowerment" Onome said slowly.
"What? What the hell is that? Tega barked.
"It's not something you can understand.What's up?" Onome replied casually.

"What's the matter with you? I call you for ages and you spin such stupid tale of women useless empowerment?do I look like a child to you?" Tega asked

"Are you crazy?, You have grown wings to keep late nights right?" He continued.

"Tega first and foremost, you had better reduce the volume of your voice. You don't hear me shouting at you for trying to destroy my phone battery with your repeated phone calls and secondly, after the meeting, I went out to eat that is why I am home this late."

"What? Onome you are becoming something else!!"
She rolled her eyes.
"You talk to me without respect."
"Tell me about it" Onome replied boldly.
"Anyways am glad you are fine. I was worried."

"You don't have to be, I am not a baby. I am capable of taking care of myself". Onome boasted.

"How is school?"
"School is fine, exams are close"
"Yeah, soon you will be a graduate!" Tega said emotionally hopeful.
Onome knowing the direction he was coming from, shifted the topic of the discussion.

"How is the resort business?" She asked.
"it's fine I am fully booked and i have some dignitaries coming in so I will not be able to come this weekend".

She wanted to scream "hallelujah" but she didn't want him to pick up the excitement in her voice. It could make him suspicious and Suspicious Tega, equals troublesome Tega. So,  trying to avoid his investigative questions, she chatted about other things but she was genuinely happy he wouldn't be around.

"Okay.  I will miss you" she said trying to end their conversation.
"Hmmm I know you will" Tega replied.
"Ok take care of yourself, let me go and shower for bed. I have classes in the morning".
"Alright take care Sugar. I love you.

"Yeah me too my pride."

Perplexed, Tega stared at the phone at the end of the call, assured in his heart more than ever before that Onome does not love him anymore. He was not a child, he knew this relationship was over after this last visit but he loved Onome and wants to be with her for the rest of his life.

He knew deep down that she was excited he was not coming over. Maybe it's for the best. He should give her some damn space before he looses his mind. He has been trying to quit smoking but times like this, he could small down his whole building.

Even though he wasn't there physically he hoped for mercy sake, another man was not taking the woman of his dreams away. He has to do something. This was a desperate time for him and the popular slogan says desperate times calls for desperate measure. He pondered for a moment and then he smiled because he knew just what to do.

Onome was in a good mood smiling as she showered and just before going to bed, Dr Ola sent her a text message appreciating her for giving him the privilege of snacking together. He hoped for a real dinner when next he comes to town. This brought pure joy to her heart and she wondered why. Oh! She had a crush on the Doctor, she muttered to herself.