CHAPTER TEN | RUNNING ✔️

RANKINGS

JUNE 17 | 3K READS

GUYS I am so sorry for the wait!! Life has been so busy lately, but I promise I have the next chapter lined up and it's a lil more ~intimate~ if ya know what I mean. :,)

CHAPTER TEN | EZRA POV

I toss the carcass aside and with the back of my hand I wipe the blood off my face.

Her face crosses my mind. Brown eyes wide in fear, the tremor in her figure; how she shrunk further from me.

I want to believe that her fear only stems from the Wendigo,

but I know it isn't. If it was, why was she looking at me that way?

Status. Ryder mindlinks to the pack.

The northern border has been secured. Giada responds.

We're dealing with three at base. Troy answers.

I continued down the hall towards where Amara took off.

I'm coming Troy don't miss me too much. I joke, despite the weight on my shoulders.

Amara.

I rub my temples, as if it could ease the frustration. Why does she aim to defy me with every opportunity she gets?

I get that you're the Beta, but in front of the pack Ezra? Troy links directly to me in exasperation.

Always. I jest, with a grin.

There's a silence, and I took the opportunity to pick up my pace towards base.

Your mate, the human. I saw her as she entered the commons outside, a Wendigo nearly had her if I hadn't reached her when I did.

My heart stops at this. Where is she now?

The prison.

My pace breaks into a run at this.

Fuck.

AMARA POV

I peel through the corridor, passing the library room that where we were earlier. I can't count the number of twists and turns I've done in an attempt to create as much distance from that thing as possible, but who knows if there are more than one on the premises?

I'm not safe anywhere.

Not in this maze of a fortress.

And not even in Mountain View.

Where could I go? Now that I know that this place is rampant with whatever that was-- and Lycans.

What could I possibly do? As far as I know- I'm the only human on the premises. And what could a human do against that?

The image of the grotesque being floods my mind. It's almost too horrific to be real.

I ran down yet another flight of stairs, a layer of sweat formed on my skin from the amount of running I've done. The closer I come to the bottom, the louder the chaos is. I tread further until there were no steps left.

People run across the open doorway followed by the massive wolves I've seen earlier. A particular wolf with earth brown fur, gnashes its teeth at what's in front of him. The doorway obscures the view, but I could only imagine.

I pause in step as long bony fingers wrap around the right frame of the doorway. A shiver crawls up my spine at the painfully familiar sight.

Its head creeps into view and cocks unnaturally as it observes me silently.