Chapter 5

"Otter, we're at the Hub. Or do you plan to stay in bed all day?" Simmons chuckled from the door of my cabin.

  "Bed." I grumbled from under the pillow.

  "Oh, come on. You've only ever been to the Hub once! This is the perfect opportunity to get to see more than what you see with a school tour." Fitz said.

  "I'd rather take a nap."

  "Suit yourself, you lazy bum." Fitz scoffed.

  "We'll tell you all about it when we come back." Simmons added, and I heard the door shut. Heavily sighing, I lifted the pillow from my head and looked at the door.

  I didn't want to lie and hide things from Fitz and Simmons, but the Hub just wasn't safe for me to actually walk around in. They had such high-tech sensors all over the place, security around every corner, and if someone so much as sneezed wrong, SHIELD would be on their ass. They could have their fun while I relaxed here.

  Staring at the ceiling, I thought yet again about whether or not I should tell those two the truth. I trusted them, but there was no certainty they'd take the truth well.

  I couldn't risk them telling anyone else, either.

~

  "How is it when I stay on the plane instead of you two, you end up on a blind mission with Ward?" I pointed at Fitz, and he only shrugged.

  "I mean, it's not that bad. They wouldn't send me if they didn't think I could handle it."

  "With Ward?"

  "He's not that bad, Otter." Simmons waved her hand.

  "Okay, so he's a Level 7, but that doesn't mean-"

  "Otter, relax. I'll be fine. It's just an in and out."

~

  "There's no extraction plan." Skye and Simmons were standing in front of me, and I looked up from where I sat.

  "What?"

  "There's no extraction plan in place for Fitz and Ward."

  "Bull-fucking-shit." I quickly stood and walked past them.

  "Otter? Otter, where are you going?"

  "There's gonna be a damn extraction plan whether those Hub shits like it or not."

  "Otter!"

  "Tell me I'm wrong."

  "What are you even going to do?"

  "Hijack the plane if I have to."

  "Or you could just ask." May stood in my way with her arms crossed. Looking down at her, I rose a questioning brow. "Aren't you going to ask?"

  "....Are you gonna help us save Fitz?"

  "And Ward." Simmons pointed.

  "Of course I'm going to help."

~

  "Thanks for the pickup." Fitz smiled as he walked into the lab while Ward was talking to Coulson in the cargo hold.

  "What happened?" I said while grabbing his face in one hand. "You get into a fight? Do I gotta fight Ward? Just ask, I'll do it. You're not hurt, are you?" I questioned as I looked him over.

  "Now who's mothering?"

  "This isn't mothering." I scoffed before grabbing Fitz into a bear hug and lifting him up to swing him around. "This is mothering! Oh, poor little Fitzy! You must have been so scared! It's okay, dear, you're safe now. Don't you worry about a thing."