Chapter 8

"Someone wanna tell me why the Asgardian is staring at me?" I muttered to Fitz and Simmons while feeling the woman's gaze on my back like daggers.

  "I don't know, did something happen?" Simmons furrowed her brows while glancing around my shoulder.

  "Nothing. Greeted to be polite, then she's been staring me down ever since."

  "Maybe because of what you said earlier." Fitz pointed. "You know, about how you're neither a man nor a woman. I'm not sure the Asgardians have a concept like that." I paused as realization dawned on my face.

  "No, they do." I then turned to look at Lady Sif, and she quickly looked away. "I'm not Loki!"

  "Wha- I-I did not think you were." Lady Sif's eyes widened at me.

  "Then why do you keep staring at me?" I asked while waving my hand, and the woman blushed.

  "My apologies, I believed I was being discrete."

  "Not quite."

  "Lady Sif, we have the files ready for you to look through." Coulson called out from the door. The woman looked relieved to have the way out and quickly left. Furrowing my brows, I turned back to Fitz-Simmons only to see the excited looks on their faces as they were patting each other's arms.

  "What are you two doing?"

  "Otter, I think...."

  "She's totally into you." Simmons grinned.

  "Right." I said with a flat tone.

  "The blush, the averted gaze, the staring- It's all there." Fitz waved his finger. "Lady Sif likes you."

  "She doesn't even know me, and you're seeing things."

  "Okay, fine. She likes how you look."

  "Asgardians are literally known for their beauty and power. Not sure a human quite compares to what she's used to." I waved the two dorks off.

  "Oh, come on, Otter. You're attractive." Simmons lightly pushed my shoulder. "You're big, broad, and beautiful." I couldn't help but laugh.

  "Fine, why else would she be staring, hm?" Fitz put his hands on his hips. "You know what? I bet you're her type."

  "Thor's her type." I popped off.

  "A person can have more than one type."

  "Why are you two so insistent on this?"

  "Because an Asgardian thinks your hot." Simmons waved her hands. "They're aliens that have been revered as gods! Not to mention their technology and 'magic' is incredible."

  "You both are ridiculous."

  "You're ridiculous." Fitz retorted. "Lady Sif is a beautiful woman, you'd have to be mad to turn her down. Or, well, not attracted to women, but whatever."

  "Turn her down? She's just been staring at me."

  "You're hopeless." Fitz shook his head while looking at me.

  "Wha- I don't see you doing anything, Mr. Expert."

  "I'm a muscularly-challenged lab geek, very clearly the opposite of Lady Sif's interests."

  "'Muscularly-challenged'?" Simmons laughed.

~

  "So, Ward's what? Like, a pod person?" Skye asked.