Chapter 18

"Well, the bruising has started to fade, though I'm afraid these stress fractures require more time to heal." Simmons stated while lowering Skye's arm.

  "Great. Tried to go zen to keep my power in check only to find myself- Ah!- back on the D.L." Skye popped off as Simmons helped put her arm braces back on.

  "The 'down low'?" Fitz questioned.

  "The 'disabled list.'"

  "Oh. Oh, yeah. That makes more sense."

  "Yeah, and now I'm all...." Skye made a face while waving her arms a little.

  "You know, it could just be growing pains- from the new powers." Fitz suggested while pacing.

  "It's okay, Fitz. You don't have to put a positive spin on this."

  "I'm not doing that. I would never patronize the- Well, the- Things change. That's what I'm saying." He walked over to stand by Simmons. "So maybe if you can learn to control this, then....you could have Avengers-level powers, something like Captain America, even."

  "I think it best we keep in mind the unstable nature of Skye's power. If there is an Avenger equivalent, right now I'm afraid it's the Hulk." Simmons gave Fitz a look.

  "Well, Hulk saved the world, last I checked."

  "You're absolutely right. But given the choice, I believe Bruce Banner would not hesitate to cure himself once and for all."

  "Even if he wants a cure, he's still using his powers for good in the meantime." I spoke up. "It's not all doom and gloom. Sure, Hulk breaks stuff, but he saves lives. I think a person is worth more than property damages." Looking at Skye I waved my hand. "And I agree with the growing pains. You think I came out of the womb looking human? Not to mention 'piranha' teeth hurt like a son-of-a-bitch until your cheeks get used to them."

  "Thanks, but, um, I think I'm just going back to the Cage for now." Skye stood up and walked away.

  "Otter, I didn't mean...." Simmons muttered but stopped when I looked at her.

~

  "Can you hear me?" I nodded after the voice came through the comm device clipped to the fin near my ear. "Oh, wonderful. Any interference?" I shook my head while swimming against the currents in the tank.

  Fitz was standing outside of the tank with his tablet as we were testing a new comm device he designed. It was rather comfortable, to the point that I barely could tell it was there.

  "All right, I'm putting the mic in now. If we can decode the series of clicks you produce underwater, we can have a two-way com-com-communication method. Which is also good because if someone were to, uh, inter....interfere, your side is already encrypted."

  I saw the mic slide into the water, and I opened my mouth to start emitting sound.

  "Good, the mic's picking up the frequencies. O-Okay, now communicate the phrases I give you. 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.' 'Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.' I-I know they're odd phrases, but they'll help us determine the, um, the-the structure of communication."

  Fitz tapped away on the tablet in his hands as he wore another comm device to talk to me. He was so focused on what we were doing, and I found it endearing.

  "'There is a ship at 12 o'clock.'" I paused, then went to the surface and leaned on the edge of the tank.

  "We don't use time the way humans do, so 'o'clock' doesn't exactly....exist in that language."