Chapter 6

"How in the world do you eat as much as a horse?" Skye questioned as she walked by, and I was dumping chips into my mouth.

  "Gotta fuel my body somehow."

  "Yeah, but Ward's bigger than you are."

  "But does Ward chase after Fitz-Simmons all day to keep 'em out of trouble?"

  "What kind of trouble are those two going to get into on a plane?"

  "They've already tried putting in a fish tank, and also tried to modify some of the plane's tech."

  "....Ah. Yeah, I can see them doing that."

  "How's your eating habits, though? You making sure to eat right?"

  "Worried about me, are you?" Skye chuckled while leaning on the counter.

  "Just used to dragging Fitz-Simmons away from their desks to eat."

  "What are you, their nanny?"

  "They're the brains, I'm the brawn, as they put it." I half-shrugged.

  "Oh, I get it. Fitz-Simmons are like the two hemispheres of the brain, and you're the body telling them it's time to eat."

  "I actually never thought of it that way." I chuckled. "Two brain hemispheres to make one whole brain."

  "It'd explain why Simmons went all wiggy when Fitz was gone." Skye joked while softly laughing.

  "Fitz did, too. Would not stop rambling on and on about their time at the Academy." Ward sighed as he walked over to the refrigerator to grab a drink. "I was able to zone out on most of it. I don't think he even noticed."

  "Oh, rude." Skye popped off.

  "What?"

  "He was trying to bond with you, you big bully." I added with a teasing tone before dumping more chips into my mouth.

~

  Wrapping the towel around my waist after stepping out of the shower, it was as I was reaching for my clothes that the lights went out and the ship rumbled. The shaking and lurching made it hard to stand up straight, and the backup red lights came on.

  "You have got to be kidding me."

  The red lights meant the power was cut and the plane would be going down. Rushing out of the bathroom, I went to the nearest seat and strapped in. Holding onto my towel and the seatbelt for dear life, the plane only rattled with even more turbulence than before.

  Clouds were rushing past the windows outside, and it felt like my stomach was in my throat as we were losing altitude. I didn't know what the Hell was going on, but if I survived the crash, I'd be sure to find out.

  Hitting the ground nearly flung me out of the chair if not for the seatbelt, and the plane was skidding to a halt while smacking into trees. When the plane finally stopped moving entirely, I got up from the seat and quickly went to get some clothes on.

  "Otter! Have you seen Fitz?" I looked up to see Simmons as I was slicking back my wet hair.

  "I haven't seen anyone, I was in the shower. Where was he last?"

  "Getting couplings for tests." Simmons glanced from me to Ward.

  "We should check the supply closet then." Ward nodded before walking forward.

  "Should I be concerned about why you have your gun out?" I pointed.

  "Someone's on the plane. They took out the power and attacked Simmons.