Chapter 17

"What are you two up to?" I questioned before chomping into a carrot. Fitz and Skye looked up from the table as they were hunched over a tablet.

  "Who said we were up to anything?" Fitz tapped his fingers on the table.

  "Your response just did."

  "We're not up to no good, don't worry." Skye chuckled. "We're designing you a suit. SHIELD can't just buy a regular wetsuit since you have gills and fins and a big ass tail."

  "Sci-Tech needs, uh, proper design guidelines to fit your needs." Fitz cleared his throat as his gaze dropped back to the tablet. "They're working on a material that's lightweight, strong, and waterproof."

  "Can I see what you got so far?"

  "Sure." Skye turned the tablet towards me as I neared the table. "We're thinking of a zipper in the front here, then use a clip in the back over your tail so you can easily get it on and off." She pointed, and I rose my brows.

  "That's a good idea."

  "That's pretty much all we have solid so far. We have a few different ideas for how to go around your fins and gills. Still tweaking, though."

  "I'll leave you guys to it, then."

  "Where are you going? Gonna go hang out with Lady Sif?" Skye teased.

  "Oh, not you, too."

  "She thinks you're pretty and smell nice!"

  "Lady Sif literally has amnesia, Skye. And complimenting someone can be just compliments."

  "Yeah, there's no way Lady Sif is into Otter. She's totally in love with Thor." Fitz waved his hand.

  "You guys are such party poopers." Skye gave Fitz a look, and I couldn't help but smirk since the last time this topic came up, he was right there with Simmons in insisting Lady Sif was attracted to me.

  Now his tune was the complete opposite.

~

  "No, you would have done to her exactly what they wanted to."

  "You don't know that."

  "Yes, I do know that! They would- You would- You-You'd 'handle her'! Mack just said it!" I heard Fitz shouting as I was walking next to Skye down the stretch of hallway. "Like Skye's something to be locked away in a cage somewhere! We should be protecting her."

  "No, Fitz. We're the ones that need protection from her." Mack retorted, but then saw Skye through the broken windows.

  "Come on." I muttered, ushering her away with an arm draped over her shoulders. She didn't say anything, but her grip tightened on the bag hanging from her shoulder.

  After it got out that Skye's DNA was altered and it was her that the Kree was after, she decided to move her things from the bunks to the Cage on the Bus. I helped her move her things, even tried talking her out of it, but she was clear that so long as she didn't have control over her new powers, this was the safest option.

  Skye said if the Cage could hold an Asgardian, surely it could keep everyone safe if her powers went out of control.

  But beyond that, she was now in the boat with me with the others fearing us. Those who were supposed to be our friends were fighting amongst themselves on what to do. The only ones not conflicted were Fitz and Director Coulson.

~

  "You're putting Skye on the Index?" I questioned while standing in Coulson's office with my arms crossed.