Chapter 13

Swimming against the currents being created by the jets in the tank, I looked to the side from the corner of my eye. Fitz was watching through the glass like a kid at an aquarium. He was busy taking notes of my vitals and how my body moved through the water.

  I didn't exactly feel like a spectacle....but I couldn't say that I didn't like the attention. I honestly only agreed to these tests because he was the one doing them.

  The currents died down, letting me know it was time for a break. My head broke the surface as Fitz stood, and I blew air bubbles from my mouth. He set his clipboard to the side before picking up a Tupperware container.

  "Have I said how cool this is?" Fitz asked, and I plucked up an orange slice from the container.

  "With every test."

  "Good. Because it's very cool. I-I mean, I thought you were cool before, too."

  "But this is cooler. Yeah, I know." I chuckled. "So how am I doin'?"

  "Uh, well, your, um...." He pointed to the monitor facing away from me. "Your vitals are still good. The, uh....oxygen levels haven't even lowered."

  "So my gills are doing good, you mean?"

  "I would certainly say so. Saved my life." He said, and the fins over my ears twitched.

  "....How'd you...."

  "Simmons."

  "....You're not upset, are you?"

  "Why would I be?" Fitz looked at me like I was an idiot, and I grabbed another orange slice while averting my gaze.

  "Well, I am an alien and just....ya know. Didn't know if you'd have a problem with it."

  "Oh, you mean because...." He pointed to his mouth, and I nodded. "Otter, you saved my life. I'm....I'm not gonna get upset with you tech-technically being my first kiss. Even if you are an alien." Fitz softly laughed like it wasn't a big deal.

  That response made me feel both better and a little disappointed.

  "You're kidding, right?" I scoffed.

  "....About?"

  "Not having kissed anyone."

  "Why? Gonna tease me about that, too?"

  "No." I needed to change the subject. "But I might tease you about all this scruff." Grabbing his face, I rubbed his stubbled cheeks.

  "Oh, gross!" Fitz cringed. "Fish smell!"

  "Wha- I do not smell like fish!"

  "No, but you should've seen your face." He chuckled while pointing at me. Fitz set down the oranges and grabbed a towel to wipe his wet face. His gaze drifted to the monitor, then his brows furrowed. "Uh....come here." He waved his hand at me, and I got closer to the edge of the tank.

  I watched as he rolled up his sleeve before reaching into the water.

  "What are you-"

  "Heart....sticky thing." He waved his other hand before turning the monitor so he could see it.

  "Come loose?" I rose a brow while looking down as his palm felt over my chest to find what he was looking for.

  "I'm not sure." We both looked at the monitor, and I froze. It was showing an increased heart rate even though I was at rest. Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit. "It's still...." Fitz's brows furrowed more as the heart rate rose even more.