vii. countdown to death

𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐃𝐎 !

seven. countdown to death

❝ By the prickling of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes ❞

── william shakespear

      —THE HOVERCRAFT WHIRLED AS IT ROSE TO THE AIR, AND EVERY TRIBUTE HELD THEIR BREATHS IN ANTICIPATION FOR WHAT AWAITED THEM ALL. The silence haunted the aircraft, the quietness seeping into Echo's bones, prompting for the blonde to bite the inside of her cheeks.

      She had been observing the tributes among her. Shivering at the Careers overtly sense of excitement and the whimpers that fell from certain tributes lips. Disturbed and feeling an overwhelming sense of hopelessness loom over her, Echo's eyes shifted to find River.

      She had noticed that the vibrant smile he always adorned had vanished, replaced with a stoic expression that hid the terror within. He too noticed the emptiness her eyes held, the fear.

      When the hovercraft landed, Echo sighed, her eyes lightening when she regarded the line of stylists awaiting for their tributes.

      Freed from her seat, Echo instantly hugged Nyx the second she was by her side. The blonde slammed her eyes shut as pure panic ran through her veins. Though, the embrace hadn't lasted for long, for the two were directed towards a brightly lit room.

      Entering, Echo first noticed the glass tube. The color drained from the blonde's face at the sight of it. Discerning this, Nyx began to speak to distract Echo's buzzing mind.

      "Want to hear a story?" Nyx suddenly spoke, the blonde gently nodded to Nyx's inquiry.

      The stylist hummed in thought, turning to retrieve a stack of clothes that laid neatly folded on a table. "When I first started as a stylist, I had been so hopeful, close to every tribute I encountered," Nyx confessed, adjusting Echo's loose-fitting white shirt. "However, over the years, I became desensitized. Having hope was nothing but painful," Nyx continued zipping Echo's thin nylon jacket halfway up.

      With a proud smile, Nyx gently grabbed Echo's hair, beginning an elaborate braid. "There's a light inside of you angel, a spark so unfamiliar yet vibrant."

      "For the first time in a while, I allowed myself to hope," Nyx confessed, the most genuine and bright smile appearing on her features before continuing. "You're going to win, Echo Lightbourne," Nyx confidently stated.

      "I promise."

      Echo found herself wrapping her stylist in a tight embrace, whispering a soft thank you.

      Releasing the tribute, Nyx turned the blonde towards a hung mirror, circling Echo, making sure she was ready to go.

      Echo's hands ran along the material of her attire which was thin other than her black pants. She had a long-sleeve white shirt on, covered by a grey nylon jacket. Though, Echo's eyes peeled away from her reflection when her family photograph came to view.