【 TWENTY-TWO 】

ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴀʀʀɪᴠᴇᴅ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴏɴ ɴᴀʙᴏᴏ, the queen already had an in-depth plan in place. After a discussion with Qui-Gon and Kera, she'd decided that our best plan of action was to fight this war ourselves... but the only way we'd succeed was with some help.

"Jar Jar is on his way to the Gungan City, Master," Obi-Wan announced as the three of us--him, me and Kera--approached a thoughtful Qui-Gon from behind. We'd landed in the thick of the dense forest... the part of it that was still standing, at least. It was nice to know that the droid army hadn't destroyed everything in its path. And, on top of that, it would provide for some cover as we waited to hear from Jar Jar. I bit my lip, only hoping the Gungans would be willing to work with us.

"Good," Qui-Gon remarked, putting his hands on his hips.

I glanced between Kera and Qui-Gon, who were seemingly deliberating between themselves with just expressions. Obi-Wan and I exchanged glances. I knew Kera had a past with Obi-Wan's mentor, but she seemed to know him really well... better than I'd thought.

"Do you think the queen's idea will work?" I asked the two of them, hoping for some answers.

"The Gungans will not be easily swayed," Kera admitted. "I've been here before to try and settle relations between them and the Naboo. Their pride will get in the way."

Qui-Gon sighed. "She's right. And we cannot use our power to help the Queen. I have a bad feeling about this plan."

"Well, all we can do is try our best and hope it works out," I pointed out. "At least we can be optimistic about the fact that we'll see that Sith Lord again. I already feel a presence of evil on this planet... he's here. He has to be."

Kera patted me on the back pridefully. "Good job using your feelings, young one."

I led her away from Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon for a moment, as the other two began to make up for their small fight earlier. "In all seriousness, Master..." I sighed deeply, concern sprinkled in my brown eyes. "I am a little nervous for our encounter with this Sith Lord."

"Righteously so, my young apprentice," she told me. "The Council hasn't faced anything like this in years."

I bit my lip. "Master... I've never even come close to fighting anything like this. My lightsaber work is one of my weaknesses as a Jedi. Just a couple minutes fighting him on Tatooine had me exhausted."

"Be mindful of your fear," Kera murmured, stopping me and holding my shoulder gently, "but I believe in you, Emeré. Your skills with a lightsaber may not be as strong as others, but you do have some strengths. You have a strong connection with the Force... a connection stronger than I've seen in a long time. You can use that to your advantage." She smiled at me. "Besides, you're not half as bad with a saber as you think. You're strong, Em."

"Please don't call me that."

Em... the name instantly made me think of Obi-Wan. The way my heart beat faster looking into his sparkling blue eyes, the way I felt a rush any time he touched my skin.

Kera looked at me in confusion, puzzled by my sudden outburst. But before she had any chance to question it, Qui-Gon called out.

"Kera! Emeré! He's back."

My master and I exchanged overwhelmed looks before following Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to the clearing where he was approaching, sopping wet and slipping in the mud tracks he was creating.

"Desa nobody dare!" Jar Jar cried, gesturing back where he'd come from. "Da Gungan City is deserted!"

I glanced back at the Queen and her handmaidens in disbelief. Sabé, still in disguise, along with Padmé and several other of the handmaidens, were standing several yards away from Kera, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and I, watching attentively. Padmé and Sabé seemed a little less shocked than I was... but still completely overwhelmed. The Gungans were gone?