Chapter 5 The father

The one thing that was good about this whole situation was that I got to leave school early and watch through the windows from outside at all of the students being tortured with work. I open the passenger door of our black Lexus and hop in, I throw my school backpack behind me and buckle my seatbelt. I take out my iPhone and text Sienna: Hey, I got off with a warning but next time I'm DEFINITELY getting expelled for one day. Anyways, I get the day off so after school u want to hang out? Txt me when u get the chance. I hit send and put my phone back in my pocket. My mom closes the door on her side and starts the car. As we're driving I turn the radio station to my favourite one, the beat 94.5. They play all the top pop songs that are popular. Unfortunately, my mom hates this station, but lucky for me, she's ignoring it today. So I take advantage of it and crank up the volume of my favourite song: Blank Space by Taylor Swift. "Nice to meet you where you been I could show you incredible thing" I sing out loud " Pleas shut your mouth Jesse, I'm trying to drive" says my mom. The car goes dead silent and the only thing I can hear is the faint hum of the car motor and the quiet singing voice of TayTay " Cause I've got a blank space baby, and I'll write your name" I softly hum under my breath. After about another 10 minutes of awkward silence, we enter our alley and pull into our garage. I grab my backpack from the backseat and climb out of our car. I close the door and walk to the garage door, I open it and climb up our steps onto our back porch. I wait for my mom to come up and open the door. I take a deep breath and walk in. I drop my backpack and my textbooks and, with my head down so my dad doesn't see me, I walk into the kitchen and grab a banana. So far the coast is clear, no dad in sight. I plop myself down on the couch and turn on the TV. I peel my banana and start to eat it. Just as I'm taking my last bite while watching an intense part in my show, my father walks in. I pretend not to see him and keep eying the TV. "Jesse" says my dad in a sharp yet calm voice "Huh?" I reply, keeping my gaze steadily on the TV " JESSE" he says more forcefully this time " What?" I break my gaze from the TV and turn around to find him standing there, arms crossed, glaring at me. " Care to tell me why your back from school 2 hours early?" " No" I say " Are you sure?" he says taking a step closer to me " 100% sure" I say with a steady voice. I know I'm making a mistake by saying that but I really want to see his reaction when I say it again " Now, I'm going to ask you on more time Jesse, are you listening honey?" I take a big gulp and nod " Why are you home from school early again?" "I slept in class again" I say with a sigh " Honey, what are we going to do with you huh?" I shrug and turn the volume up again on the TV " Mom ratted me out again right" " Yes serie she did" He says with a grin. He kisses me on the forehead and goes back to his computer to work on more lawyer stuff. I check my iPod to see if Sienna texted me back yet, but still no one. I lean back on the couch and take a big gulp of air then I let it go. " Sigh, why is my life so complicating sometimes?" I ask myself. Then I turn my attention back to the TV.