New Ride

For the past week Will had been introducing them to the tricks, tools, and attributes of being a Ranger. And one of those attributes just so happened to be coffee. Of all of the things that were great about being a Ranger, coffee was one of the best. The boys had already been presented with their cloaks, bows, knives, and bronze oakleaf. The leaf symbolized that they were apprentices in the corps. Today would again bring something new. Neither of the boys noticed that Will's horse Tug wasn't at the cabin that day. They did notice it however, when Will had begun walking with them on the way to their destination.

"Hello new Bob!" Will called out when a house and large paddock came into view. "Why do you call him 'New Bob'?" Jack asked this when Will called out. "We call him that because his father was called 'old Bob' and now he has taken over." Taken over what?" Max too was curious now. "Breeding and taking care of our horses. When we don't have them of course." "Hullo Will." Bob called out. "Ah I see why you asked for two horses now." "Yes, I have two apprentices now. Which horses do you have for us today?" "I have Charger and Spirit for you today." Bob gestured towards the two horses in the fences area. There was an opening but neither of the horses wanted to exit. Both horses looked similar in shape to Tug. A barrel shaped chest, and smaller than any other horse he had seen. But Tug was bigger, probably older. "Excellent. Max would you step up and meet Bob?" "Hello sir. Nice to meet you." "He called me sir! I like this one. Alright now, would you like to ride Charger or Spirit?" "I think I'll ride Spirit." "Alright then. She's the black on with the white socks. Go get her and bring her over here." Max walked over and tried to grab the lead rein, but she walked away and began grazing. Max noticed the bucket of apples, and he grabbed one out. She looked up and came right over. As she munched on the apple, he was able to grab the lead and take her over. "Well done Max. Go ahead and get on her now." Max put a foot in the stirrups, and pulled himself up. The horse bunched her hindquarters and began jumping and bucking until Max flew off. "What happened?! Have I done something wrong?" "Ranger horses are specially trained. They react to certain movements with your legs, know when to stay, and they know how to keep strangers off." Will and Bob laughed to themselves knowing this would happen, because it always did. "How do I show her I am not a stranger?" "All of our horses are trained to respond to a certain phrase. Tug responds to, 'Do you mind?'" "What does Spirit respond to?" "I believe she responds to 'It's only me.'" "Ok just tell it to her every time I get on?" "Only the first time." Bob spoke to Will quietly as Max took spirit back into the open. "That one's smart. Didn't get to use the funny phrase." "I know but Jack might slip." When Max was ready he whispered into her ear, "It's only me." She had a change in her eye. The look of someone she recognized. He pulled himself up once again and braced just for reassurance. But she didn't move, and waited for his orders. "Alright Jack you take Charger And just tell him 'Here we go.'" "Here we go?" "Not to us, to the horse!" They both shouted smiling. Jack approached the brown horse and whispered in his ear. "Here we go." He got on and have Charger a rub on his neck. "Alright go take them for a ride." The boys trotted out of the fenced area, and made way up to a gallop. They rode around for a minute and came back in. "Those horses can keep up a canter for the entire day without tiring." "It sounds good. Anything else we need to know?" Max may have been young and rambunctious, but he did need to know all about everything. "I think that's about it." "Thanks Bob I think that should do it for us." As they rode back Max couldn't help but wonder something. "Will, Bob said something about leg movements, what did he mean by that?" Will put his hands up and Tug stopped, turned, turned back, and continued. Will made him do all of these actions with his knees, heels, and toes. "Like that. You'll learn how to perform these eventually, but for now you should just ride like a normal rider." They got back and by that time it was dark. So they are dinner and went to sleep. With horses to ride, their lives just got a little more fun.
---------------------------------------------
A/N: hi so I wrote this one on the bus ride home and finished it up before I went to sleep. So yeah. I will out a new chapter out ASAP. Thanks for reading please vote. Thanks!!