Chapter Seventeen

Enjolras shoved me behind him, using his own body as a barricade between me and the policeman. "If you want to get to her, you'll have to get through me first," he growled. His eyes narrowed dangerously, and the policeman seemed to wither under Enjolras' angry gaze. However, he stood his ground and straightened up.

        "I'm prepared to do that, Monsieur," he said coolly. He lifted his gun and pointed it directly at Enjolras' chest.

        "No!" I cried out, shoving Enjolras aside. "Don't hurt him."

        "Eponine," Enjolras said softly. "Get behind me."

        "No, Enj, I won't let you do this. Not for me."

        He turned to me, he eyes piercing my heart. "I'm not going to let you go, Ep. I promise you."

        "Enough of this," the policeman snapped. He walked forward and shoved Enjolras aside, pushing him onto the ground. He grabbed my arm tightly. "You're coming with me."

        "Let her go!" someone cried out. I looked to the source of the voice and was surprised to see that the speaker was none other than the old bourgeois woman who had spoken up for me earlier. The crowd once again followed her lead.

        "Let her go!" other members of the crowd cried out.

        "She is just a girl!" someone yelled. "She only stole to survive!"

        "She's a changed person!"

        "Let her go!"

        "Free her!"

        The cries of the crowd echoed throughout the streets. The policeman looked around uneasily, sweat beading his forehead. He raised his gun and aimed it into the crowd. "Silence or I'll shoot!" he yelled. The crowd fell into an uneasy silence as they eyed his gun nervously. The policeman grabbed my arm more tightly. "Let's go, Thenardier."

        "No!" Enjolras yelled.

        Then, a loud CRASH! filled my ears, and shards of glass fell down from the policeman's head. Blood trickled from his head, and he fell to the ground, unconscious. I looked up to see my savior, and my mouth fell open in shock.

        Grantaire stood there, holding a broken beer bottle in his hand. "Your welcome," he said.

        I stared at him in shock. "Grantaire, I... Thank you."

        "Just promise to keep Enjolras out of trouble," he said with a wink. "I think he needs a woman in his life. It's good for him."

        I smiled and wrapped my arms around him. "Thank you," I said warmly.

        "No problem, Eponine."

        "Grantaire," Enjolras said with a smile. "Thank you for protecting the love of my life."

        "Well, I can't have my best friend losing the first girl he's ever loved."

        Enjolras smiled and took my hand. "Ep," he said, looking rather nervous. "I- I know this may not be the best time, but I was wondering if maybe you'd like to go on a proper date with me. I mean, I understand if you don't want to after what just happened, but.. well I was just hoping if...um... well...'

        "Enjolras," I interrupted, kissing him on the cheek. "I'd love to go on a date with you."