Underage Customers

But that's why I have a team, right?

How naive. Team? More like spectators. What went through Echo's head when she had the brilliant idea for injured me to go ahead as "an award" for my plan not completely failing? Don't tell me, I don't want to know what went on in that psycho's head.

To make things worse, my own sister sided with the little witch. "Why don't you go on ahead, then? Cause a distraction for Echo to survey the building," she said. "I can tail you in case something goes wrong."

Thirty seconds ago she'd been fretting over my broken ribs. What happened to "don't push yourself"? And they say I had a short attention span.

But at the time, the urge to distance myself from my arch-nemesis and my constant reminder of the day's earlier events trumped worrying over my pain tolerance and next conflict. I took the offer with glee, my plans for a suitable distraction already buzzing through my mind.

Careful not to step on glass shards or stub my toe on the fallen wooden chairs, I stepped through the lobby, my ears open for footsteps or opening doors. Hydel and his men trashed the joint- splinters of wood decorating the marble floor, picture frames knocked off the walls, and the cashier split into two pieces thrown across the room. Considering the thin layer of dust lining the floor and shelves disturbed only by sets of footprints from the door to the hallway, it had been a while since they first settled in.

I twisted around the corners and examined the burgundy carpeted halls. They had a cramped home feeling complete with torn floral wallpaper. Numerous doors ran along the hallway. Their wood swelled from water damage, making them difficult to open quietly. This must have been an inn or hotel at some point.

Although Echo was probably doing the same, I cracked open a few doors on the way to peek inside. Most of the rooms had busted walls where they'd made them larger to accommodate for the stacks of boxes and equipment. Curiosity urged me to examine them, but I knew the others were waiting on me to make a distraction.

I had pictured the building swarming with guards in my head, but inside, there were only a few on patrol. They walked back and forth down the halls in an almost predictable pattern, but there was a time or two I had to duck beside a broken water fountain or sneak through doors when they unexpectedly appeared around a corner. Nonetheless, I figured Hydel wasn't expecting guests.

Now and then, I'd feel eyes on the back of my neck from Pudding or Echo, but I didn't turn around to look. They were probably waiting for my brilliant distraction that I hadn't found the perfect place to perform yet. Distractions were an art that I put my utmost pride in.

After scanning the entire first floor for said "perfect place", I found myself tired and extremely disappointed. Not a single room screamed Hydel will despise me for the rest of his reptilian life if I make a scene here.

After a moment of wandering aimlessly through a hallway I had already investigated, I stared dumbly at a floor map across from the lobby between two elevators that probably didn't work. I could feel Pudding's gaze burning into me, and I tried my best to pretend I didn't notice the judgment. I tried even harder to pretend Echo wasn't watching me too with her evil smirk.

There were three floors above the ground level we were on, but what really caught my attention was the clearly marked "off-limits" basement. What can I say? "Off-limits" had a tempting ring.

I found the stairs and swung the door open with my right hand so my custom-fit trash can lid shield wouldn't knock on the door and create a racket in the stairwell. Not that it mattered since I forgot to stop the door from slamming behind me when I let go. The sound echoed around me, loud as a gunshot, and I listened for the stomping of feet up the narrow stairs. I couldn't hear anyone, so I huffed, let down that I couldn't take out a few guards while I had the higher ground.