Family Reunion

Tiny yellow dandelions and daisies dotted the large fields. The gentle breeze carried the whinnying of horses and the smell of warm grass beneath the sun. Summer had made its appearance for the first time that year, a good omen for the two cats.

They walked at a brisk pace, navigating their way through the tall grass towards the largest barn. A black and white cat snuck through a hole in the wall and glanced curiously at the newcomers before scurrying through a window that led to a lower part of the barn.

Marshmallow paused at the entrance. For a brief moment, she considered turning away while she still could. At least she wouldn't be disappointed when she didn't find her brother and sisters. Perhaps she could move on like Ninja.

However, the tuxedo behind her asked with concern, "Marsh?" Marshmallow shook her head. She didn't need pity or concern from her sister. She would find her siblings. It was the least she could do after leaving them.

The tabby hopped over a wooden board that blocked the horses from coming into the barn. Her nose twitched. There were so many smells that she couldn't pick up on any single one. Cats, skunks, and perhaps raccoons had taken shelter in the barn.

Old, brownish-yellow hay covered the floors and strong support beams held up the massive building. Stomping and the loud sneeze of a horse came from below where the black and white cat had run off to.

Marshmallow flicked her gaze around, worry setting in. Seeing the shift in her sister's emotions, Ninja tried to reassure her, "They might be out right now. No need to give up yet."

"They might not even live here anymore," sighed Marshmallow, trying to hold her emotions in. Her normally emotionless face she had been trained most of her life to maintain quivered, and her eyes became watery, filled with tears.

However, the quivering abruptly stopped and her mind went blank when a quiet, silvery voice spoke behind her, "Ninja? Marsh?"

Marshmallow spun so fast at the sound of the girl's voice it was a wonder she didn't get whip-lash. Peering into the entrance of the barn, holding a large bag of what looked like cat food, was a petite, hazel haired girl with olive-green eyes.

"Smores?" Replied Marshmallow, her eyes widening. The girl dropped the bag she was holding and threw her arms around the two cats.

Ninja tried protesting, but her face was smothered in Smores' shirt. The girl cried out, scaring the pigeons out of the barn, "I can't believe you two came back! I didn't think I'd ever see you again!"

Marshmallow pushed away from the girl, causing her to finally set them down. Tears streamed down her face, past her bright smile. Ninja coughed before saying, "We missed you two -no need to suffocate us."

Marshmallow shoved her sister, but couldn't help but smile back at the crying girl. "Do you have any idea how long you were gone?" Cried the girl, her smile disappearing. "You said you'd come back for us Marsh. You promised!"

"I have, haven't I?" asked Marshmallow as she touched her head to the girl's knee, trying to calm her sister down. "I'm sorry it took so long. But we're back now."

A light laugh escaped the girl's mouth before she hugged the two cats again, gentler than the first time. "You're back," she repeated, "You're really back."

"I love you Smores, but the others might want to see us also. Do you know where they are?" Ninja asked, causing the girl to stand up and nod her head, wiping the tears away. Marshmallow would have been content staying in Smores' embrace, but she knew it couldn't last forever. She could only hope the others would welcome her back like Smores.

"They're in the house," explained Smores as she turned to lead them. As they walked away from the barn, Smores kept looking back often to make sure her sisters hadn't left her again. Maybe it was all just a dream. "We stay in human form most of the time now. You could say it's just out of spite, but human form does have its perks."