High In The Sky

After receiving a brief interview of the monster bird creatures, I lifted up into the sky. Give an emphasis on the brief part. Apparently, the first bird creature they took down exploded, destroying a nifty little house and the pathway leading to it. Let's just say Slider's River Camp has been waiting for reinforcements since then.

My cape, which had been fixed since the shark incident flapped behind me as I flew through the humid air. The neon red fabric shined in the sunlight like a fire lit on my back. Whether that made me a beacon of hope or a fancy bird toy was up for debate.

Behind me, my sister followed at a safe distance, not wanting the birds to gobble her up along with me. Her cape was a rich, emerald green. It was shorter than mine and connected to a vest wrapped around her chest.

But the best part about it: the vest had waterproof pockets!

Whoever ordered mine -Ilene- didn't think I'd go in the water often. She's correct, I supposed. Then again, nearly every time I end up in that dreaded substance is her fault.

With his wide wings gliding over tree tops, dripping black goop into the already murky enough swamp water, it didn't take long for me to spot our pterodactyl pal. My cape proved to be just as eye-catching when the vicious monster turned to face me.

I came to a sudden halt, flinging my glorious cape over my face. No, I wasn't scared of it. What do you take me for, a coward? I was scared of the three other pterodactyls that also turned to face me.

Pudding, who was far enough behind me not to slam into my back when I stopped, soared up beside me. My eyes stuck to the humongous pterodactyls, I asked her, "You couldn't perhaps ask them politely to head back to the Jurassic, could you?"

I could feel the well-deserved are you serious look burning the side of my head, but as they approached, Pudding returned with, "They may feel more at home during the Cretaceous Period."

One of them let out an ear splitting shriek, the sound sending ripples across the lake. No worries. Less sense of sound I have, less yelling I have to endure from mom and Ilene.

Before my brain could focus on how Ilene's motherliness made up for the lack of a father, I told Pudding, "We have to stay over the lake. We don't want them taking out anymore trees or buildings."

Pudding nodded, but I wasn't finished. "And for the record, it's Jurassic."

"Is not," she grumbled in reply before leaving my side to distract a couple of bird monsters.

Much to my surprise, a moving target, such as my sister, was appealing enough to two of them that they left me, the flashy target. Thank goodness. One is okay, two is pushing it, three is over kill, and four signals that the world's just out to get me.

One of the monsters still chasing me opened its mouth, revealing an ugly set of slimy, brown, three-inch-long, narrow teeth that curved in all directions. Assuming that the teeth didn't kill me the moment they sunk through my fur, there was no way I'd wiggle out of its hold.

Huh, I thought birds didn't have teeth. Guess I should have actually listened to my biology teacher.

With the monster bird only a few yards away, I tucked my feet in and plummeted towards the lake. My initial plan was to lure the bird into the water and hope that it couldn't swim. However, as I fell closer to the blue liquid, I realized the fatal flaw in my brilliant plan.

The bird was a natural flyer. Sure, Marshmallow and Ninja could probably have done it, but Maxima gave them that ability. Not me. I still relied on the watch to fly, and there was no way I'd be able to change directions quicker than the freaking bird could.