Twenty-Five: Mat

I was swamped with hockey for months after that. In the middle of December, I recorded my first NHL hat trick against the Winnipeg Jets. It was an amazing day and it was too bad that my friends weren't there to see it. Shreya and Bela called me after the game when I was out with Beau.

"Was that Bela?" Beau asked after I hung up.

"Yeah," I said. "She just wanted to congratulate me on the hat trick,"

"It was a great hat trick, though," Beau said.

"Thanks," I said.

Months went by and I didn't see Bela until her graduation. I drove to the city and got a hotel near Bela's school. I took a nap and woke up the next morning. I put on a nice suit and brushed my hair. I drove to the school and saw Bela's parents along with her little sister, Zoe.

"Mathew?" Bela's mom looked at me.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Matthews," I smiled, hugging her and shaking the hand of Mr. Matthews.

I looked at Zoe who I hadn't seen in 4 years.

"Hey, Zo," I said.

"Hey, Mat," She gave me a side hug.

"I never got to congratulate you on making the NHL," Mr. Matthews said to me.

"Thanks, Mr. Matthews," I said.

"When the Leafs aren't on, I have the Islanders on to see you play," He told me. "I even saw that hat trick of yours, it was a beauty,"

"Thanks," I smiled.

"We're even getting a jersey to put up in my man cave," He said.

"With all of your Maple Leafs things?" I asked.

"Wouldn't that be treason?" I joked.

"Even I'm into hockey now," Zoe said. "I'm still a Leafs fan, though,"

"My nephew, Auston, got drafted last year," Mr. Matthews said.

"Bela told me," I said. "It's pretty cool playing against him, he's a great player,"

"Yeah, he's got some great skills," He said.

"We're very proud of you, Mathew," Mrs. Matthews said.

"Thank you, Mrs. Matthews," I said.

"And Bela, too," Mr. Matthews added. "She's graduating high school!"

"College," Mrs. Matthews corrected him.

"College?" He asked. "Oh, right,"

Zoe and her mom laughed.

I spotted a familiar face walking like a chicken without a head. I waved to her.

"Over here," I said.

She ran up to us, trying not to trip in her two-inch heels (which by the way didn't make her taller than me)

She hugged Mr. and Mrs. Matthews and then Zoe.

"Shreya! What a surprise!" Mrs. Matthews said.

Shreya gave me a hug as well.

"It's nice to see that the three of you are still good friends," Mr. Matthews said.

"We're great friends," Shreya smiled.

We found five seats next to each other and sat down. When they called up Bela, she scanned the audience to find us. She smiled and waved as her mom took pictures. She looked beautiful in her cap and gown. It reminded me of our high school graduation but this time I wasn't up there with her. After the hours went by of congratulating each student, the ceremony was over. Bela came up to us and hugged us all one by one.