Chapter 4

Regrets

(TW: This chapter holds a surgery, if you are triggered by it, just read the summary at the end)

"Sam..."

He heard his name croak out of the other's mouth. Sam was on the verge of tears, relieved that he was awake, but guilty and sad about his situation. He slowly reached his hand out to Ponk's, slowly and gently holding his hand in both of his.
"Ponk.." he whispered out.

"Why..." Ponk replied weakly.

"I.." he couldn't get the words out before a silent sob escaped. "I don't know Ponk, why? I don't know.." he proceeded with tears streaming down his face onto his hands and Ponk's hand. He lifted up the hand he held to his face while he shook and cried. He sat there for a long time while Ponk listened to his sobs and the shaky words coming from him. He didn't understand why Sam was crying. Why would he be crying? He hurt him, why should he be crying...

--=+=--

It's been a week since Ponk woke up. Sam had gained tools on experimenting and removing the parasite on Ponk. Meanwhile the man with the parasite has been sleeping and occasionally waking up for a short period of time before going back to sleep.
Sam had tried everything at this point to remove it without skin contact. He tried to burn it, cut it, pry it with tweezers, hell he even considered using firecrackers, but he knew it wouldn't work because this parasite was on Ponk. After drawing on so many conclusions, Sam decided he would try to perform surgery on him. He didn't like it, but he had to, so he proceeded to create sleeping potions or anesthetic for Ponk. He planned out the surgery, what tools he'd possibly need, how much time it would take, and the planning on hiding his house so he could work in private. No disruptions.

When he had everything ready he put an oxygen mask on Ponk and a makeshift heart monitor, as well as a blood pack hooked up to him. Sam got to work as he gave him the anesthetic and sleeping potion. He had sanitary gloves on that grabbed a scalpel as he started. He planned to cut open the chest cavity to see how much the parasite had spread, then try to physically remove it from there.
When the chest cavity was open he saw the roots were basically wrapped around his ribcage and were fused to some of his cell tissue. He sighed having come to realize he may need to cut out some cell tissue in the process. Sam slowly worked his way around the parasite and loosened the roots somehow even though it took a while to detach the slightest extent of a singular root. He still proceeded, but he eventually had to give Ponk another dose of anesthetic, since it was taking more time than he anticipated. He swiftly went to attach another blood pack for Ponk before quickly getting back to work. He would tug at the parasite with his gloved hand once in a while to see how loose it got. He got quicker at removing the roots even though they would start reattaching. He eventually got down to the last root, and when he started, Ponk gasped awake. The heart monitor quickened and Sam started freaking out before he realized he needed to calm down. He used one of his hands to hold Ponk's while he was awake. How was he awake? Then he noticed the final root, looking like it was convulsing. Sam easily guess that the egg parasite was sucking out Ponk's medicine and sighed. Ponk held a death grip on his hand as he was in pain.
"It'll be over soon Ponkie... don't worry.." he cooed to him, in hopes of comforting him. Ponk was staring at the ceiling wide eyed and his face expressed fear and pain. Sam kept cooing to him as he finished up. He finally got the last root and yanked the parasite from Ponk's chest cavity. He quickly shut it into a glass jar before going back to his... friend. Rushing to give him anesthetic and a sleeping potion then immediately working on stitching up his open chest cavity. When he was done he replaced the blood pack and took his temperature to make sure the parasite didn't make him sick.

When all was in the clear he sighed and looked over at the parasite in the glass jar that was tightly sealed.

What the hell was he gonna do with it.

Summary: Sam performed surgery to remove the parasite on Ponk, after a while it was successful and he kept Ponk's state stable. Now he has the parasite in a glass jar and is gonna decide what to do with it next chapter.