Chapter 1

~5 years earlier~

Raine's P.O.V.

I panted as I ran around a corner. This is bad, this is really bad! If the vampires catch us now, I am sure to be sent to the blood bank or worse...the pound. "Raine, stop thinking so hard and run faster!" my friend Violet yelled. Huffing I ran harder.
We kept running, but two werewolf children were no chance against five grown vampires. Skidding around a corner, we ran down a random alley. I glanced around wildly when I saw that the alley we ran down was a dead end. The men slowly advanced our way, laughing at our misfortune. The lead one pointed at us, and the two men closes to him grabbed my friend and I.
"I got to admit, these to runts are pretty fast for their age, why don't we take 'em to the pound instead of the blood bank?" The man holding me asked. His friends all nodded in agreement before using vampire speed and running to an almost empty parking lot. In the center was a black van with no windows. "Please, don't take us there. Please no. Please, I'm begging you!" Violet sobbed. I reached out to her, but before I could rest my hand on her shoulder the ugly man holding her slapped my hand away. As I prepared to launch myself at him, I felt a prick at the back of my neck, and before long my vision started to blur. "What did you do?"I slurred out before falling into darkness.
When I awoke, I saw that I was in a cage. It was decent sized and gave me enough room to stand and walk around a little bit, but nonetheless it was still a cage. "Raine, is that you?" a voice ask from beside me. I knew that voice...Violet! I turned to the side and saw her sitting in a cage directly beside me, but something wasn't right. Her movements were sluggish and her eyes were unfocused. Upon closer inspection I saw that she was sitting in a pool of blood. Her blood. Frantically, I reached toward her through the bars, I was so close. So very close, yet so very far. By the time her eyes had somewhat focused on me, I was already screaming for help. "Please, somebody help my friend! Anybody! Please, if it goes on like this she will die from blood loss! Please!" But of course, nobody came. Nobody cared.
After awhile I gave up and reached through the bars to her again. I didn't expect her to respond to my actions, but she weakly placed her hand in mine. She coughed and then spoke," if this is how I am going to go, I am happy that it is by your side. You mean the world and more to me, Raine. Without you, I would have died a long time ago. So... Thank you for being my friend and my sister till the end." She glanced into my eyes, and in that split second it all came crashing down on me. My parents were dead, I was placed in a pound, and my friend just died because of my stupid mistake. If I hadn't have dragged her out of our safe spot then she wouldn't have been in this situation.
With a smile, the light in her eyes faded away forever. " Why? Why are you saying thank you to the person who caused your death!"I sobbed out. Now, I really was all alone. "I promise, for you I will live. For you." I screamed out in pain as I felt my body begin to change. I could feel everything. My muscle tearing and my bones breaking and then being put back together. What is this pain? Why is it happening to me? Without knowing, I had shifted for the first time. Alone. After the pain stopped I sat there sobbing until it felt as if I had no more tears to cry. Before long I fell into a deep, unsettling sleep beside the body of my dead best friend.