Chapter 5

-alicia's pov-

*next morning*
I woke up around 6 by accident but now I can't go back to sleep. I had a hard time sleeping because my sister is sick again, Destiny has been sick for almost a week, and although me and her both get sick easily, it's more risky when she's sick.
When Destiny was around 6 she got diagnosed with leukemia, she had to do treatments for 3 years. My family actually moved to Utah because she was sick and there were better doctors here.

When we moved to Utah, I was barely starting kindergarten, which was when I met benny, he was the only kid that was nice to me.
It was always hard for me to make friends, especially with girls since I dressed differently and acted differently than most girls, so when benny became friends with me, I made sure we would always be friends.
Benny and his family are the only non-related people that know about Destiny having leukemia in the past.

I did my normal routine, I wore a gray oversized shirt, baggy jeans, converse, and gray la dodgers hat. I left a note on the table that read 'Went to the sandlot early, I'll be back later today' and with that I left.
Once I got to the sandlot I just laid on top of the dugout with my hat covering my face. After about an hour or two of laying there I heard the boys walking towards the dugout.

Kenny: why are you here so early?
squints: Yea wouldn't you still be sleeping right now
Alicia: I woke up earlier than usual and I couldn't fall back asleep so I just came here
ham: we brought extra coke's if you want some
alicia: alright

The boys continued talking and i jumped down from the top of the dugout.
Yeah-yeah and Squints kept giving me looks, practically asking if i was ok.
Other than benny, i'm the closest to squints and yeah-yeah. All 3 of them knew something was off about me but i'm not gonna mention it and hopefully they won't either, or at least around the rest of the boys.

Alicia: are we gonna start playing?
Benny: yeah, everybody base up

*a few hours later*
We finished playing and now we're all sitting at the dugout, wasting time.
Everybody is talking about different things, I'm just hoping my sister feels better soon.

squints: Hey alicia
Alicia: what's up
yeah-yeah: are you ok? you seem off
alicia: yeah i'm good
squints: you sure?
alicia: yes, y'all ain't gotta worry bout me
yeah-yeah: alright

After awhile we started walking home.

yeah-yeah: you sure you good alicia? you're quieter than usual
alicia: yeah i'm good, just thinking
yeah-yeah: alright well see you tomorrow
alicia: bye yeah-yeah

Slowly everybody was leaving so soon it was just me and Benny.

benny: hey my mom was wondering if you wanted to eat dinner at my house, and yes she invited you're siblings too
alicia: yea I'll see if they wanna go
benny: cool so see you in like 30 minutes
alicia: yep

We both separated walking inside our own houses.

alicia: hey jeremiah do you wanna go eat with the rodriguez's
jeremiah: yeah lemme go tell destiny to get ready
alicia: ok, imma go take a shower, also is destiny feeling any better?
jeremiah: she said she felt a little better and that she's just sore
alicia: oh alright
jeremiah: hey she's gonna be okay, she always pulls thru
alicia: you're right