Chapter 1

I take my scarf out of my bag and wrap it around my neck and stuff my hands in my jacket pockets. I let out a sigh and watch the white wispy smoke fade away. I look over at the school and I see someone in a bright red jacket running towards me...and falls.

I shake my head and start walking and blow hot air into my hands. Gosh, could he be any slower? He finally jogs up to me and the bleachers, away from our university.

"How long have you been waiting?" Cassian asks. I roll my eyes at him and show him my hands that have been numb for the past five minutes. He grimaces.

"I've been waiting here for the past 10 minutes in this cold for you," I complained. "It feels like -40 out here and you were there in your little chess club-"

"I'm not in a chess club, Eva" Cassian struts to the bus stand with his lips in a straight line. He's a nerd, and he hates it when I point it out. Cassian has been my friend for a long time; since high school. I still remember when he was new, awkward and unwilling to interact with anyone. Now, he's always in the spotlight because something happened the one day I was absent.

We jogged over to the small bus stand when we see the bus approaching it and get on right on time. We tap our cards and slide into the red velvety seats of the electric bus. It's pretty full in here, with young children with their parents, to people that are over 50. There's an accident on the side of the road and the bus slows down. I'm going to be late today, aren't I? I sigh and pull out my phone to text my brother, who's still at his high school.

Me:

hey, im gonna be late to pick you up, so go buy something at subway while u wait.

Stupid Baboon:

yea i alr bought stuff, when r u not late??

I narrow my eyes at my phone and shut it off.

"Was that Arryn?" Cassian leans back in his seat and puts his maroon backpack in his lap. I nod and mumble about Arryn being an arse while I slip my phone back into my pocket.

"Cass, do you want to do the psych project with me?" I asked him. We had a new project where we had to research the "happy hormones" like serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin and endorphins.

"Oh yeah, I was going to ask you about that, Eva," he tells me. "I was thinking of doing oxytocin, what do you think?" I fiddle with the ring on my right pointer finger while nodding.

"That's fine by me," I respond and look out the window at a sign that reads Macy's Coffee.

"We gotta go there soon," I point at the sign as we pass it. He nods, mumbles a quick "Sure thing" and whips out a chocolate-covered chocolate chip granola bar and begins eating. We get started on the project tomorrow and I'm beyond excited for the research. The bus stops at the Nearview bus stop and Cassian huffs as he slings his bag over his shoulder.

"See ya," he calls on his way out, not caring if everyone heard. He almost slips on the ice as he hops off, and I wave him goodbye, laughing. The next stop was mine and if I could just-

"Hi, there!" Someone tall in a mysterious beige coat sits next to me. Oh gosh, not small talk. I awkwardly smile and wave at them a bit. They look around me and take in my attire, an off-white cable-knit sweater with some random jeans I grabbed this morning. They look at my solid black backpack that looks like it's about to burst at any second with all of the things I might need. Bandaids to extra sweaters, I've got it all. They also start to reach out to touch my navy blue coat but the bus stops right on time and I basically leap out the door. Creep.