Chapter 2

I sit around the dining table with my brother and dad, talking. More like my dad yelling at my brother, though, but then again, it doesn't affect me at all.

"Arryn Arias, if I have to tell your mother that you went around partying while you were supposed to be at school," I could practically see the steam coming out of my dad's nose and ears, "I'll disown you." I raise my eyebrows at that one. He's just bluffing, but the way he was so calm while throwing beans into a pot full of soup so aggressively, you would think he was considering this for a long time.

My brother, on the other hand, was shaking in his boots. Arryn was frantically trying to help our dad in the kitchen as much as he could with trembling hands. My dad gives him a death glare when his spoon clangs as it falls. I had no clue he was at a party and skipped school, but I'm honestly impressed.

I curl up tighter in my weighted blanket. My mom was at work right now, and she has to work overtime, so she's always tired. If she finds out that Arryn was "rebelling" right now - as my parents call it - he's toast.

I rub my temples and grab another chocolate bar and head upstairs. The weighted blanket makes it hard to walk up, but I'm not taking it off, no matter what. I heave up to my room and open my laptop on the bed. I need to start doing the math homework I was ignoring for a week now. I check the time and I see that I have exactly five hours before I have to submit it.

My phone vibrates and I see that I got a message from Cassian.

Cass man:

u done the math yet?

Great. He saw right through my lie when I told him that I was done earlier today.

Me:

u done asking nolani yet?

Cass man:

i knew u weren't done

Me:

wdym, i told u i finished

Cass man:

ur a liar tho

I shut my phone and leave him on read because that's what he deserves. Cassian's had a raging crush on my best friend, Nolani Wether, for almost a year now, but he doesn't have the guts to ask her out. So naturally, he chose me to be his wingman to get them together, as if I don't have more important things to do. Like, procrastinate on my math homework, for example.

My phone vibrates again:

Cass man:

i was kidding :(

Me:

go away

Cass man:

;-;

Left on read, again. I really need to start focusing on math. I rip open the chocolate wrapper with my teeth and open up my math homework. All I need is a little coffee-flavoured chocolate bar, and I'll be able to power through all of this.