Chapter 11

"I don't know who you're talking about." He says confidently after clearing his throat. Lucifer chuckles and puts a hand on Cassian's shoulder, knowing he was lying. Fingers digging into his shoulder, Cassian looks up with fear and discomfort. He shakes his head furiously as Lucifer quickly puts him into a chokehold.

I watch the colour drain out of his face and he starts yelling. He curses, he begs, he threatens. Lucifer squeezes his neck tighter and he sputters and coughs and struggles to get out of his hold. Cassian's usually pale face starts turning bright red, then blue when I finally understand the situation.

He makes direct eye contact with me and I see the bright red veins in his eyes, veins popping out of his temples and neck.

Lucifer takes a gun and holds it against his temple, watching Cassian thrashing around and desperately trying to get out of his grasp. I look for my phone through my cold sweat and pounding heart, but I can't find it anywhere. Cassian's eyes are wide from pure terror, flickering from side to side trying to find an escape.

My stomach churns when Lucifer laughs sadistically, constraining Cassian's neck from moving an inch and time seems to slow. Cassian's voice is raw and breaking, begging. Lucifer sneers and whispers something in his ear and pulls the trigger on his gun.

I shut my eyes and listen to the deafening gunshots followed by dead silence. I hear footsteps fading away. The only thing I can hear is my shaky breathing. Hurrying to Cassian's side, I watch helplessly as he tries to drag in more breath.

"Eva—"

"I'm sorry, Cassian," I whisper, wiping the tears from his eyes, "I'm so sorry." Cassian takes my hand in his.

"Take care of yourself and my family, please," he winces and studies my face as if he's looking at my face for the first time, "It's not your fault, it's ok." I furrow my eyebrows.

"What are you talking about?" I shake my head and look around for my phone, "You're fine, I'm calling the ambulance. You're fine, Cass."

"No, calm down, Eva. Make sure Mom's happy, that's all I ask," Cassian groans and covers his bullet wound. I stand up and look around for my phone that I eventually find in a pile of snow while he protests. Running back to Cassian, I start to call 911, but I notice that I can't hear him complaining anymore.

"Cassian, it's ok, I'll get you to the hospital," I move the hair out of his eyes, but he isn't blinking.

"C-Cass," I shake his shoulder, but his body lies lifeless in my arms.