Chapter 9

I sigh as I watch Cass walk off the bus. I know he's hiding something, but at every chance, I have to call him out on it, he always shuts me down. Before I even say anything! He looks back at the bus before he starts running...on the ice? I get up as soon as I see him turn the corner, in the opposite direction of his house.

"Sorry, I forgot to get off," I heave my bag to the front of the bus, giving the bus driver a pathetic look.

"Fine," The bus driver rolls their eyes at me while stopping and opening the doors again. I shout a quick "thank you" as I hurry out of the bus and start catching up to Cassian.

I almost slip on a patch of ice while turning around the corner and finally get Cassian in my line of vision again. He's leaning against the wall and is looking around for something. He nearly spots me, but I hide behind the building before he has the chance to. My eyes are wide and my heart is pounding out of my chest while I try to make sense of the situation. What is he doing? What am I doing? I watch the white fog pour out of my mouth as I pant uncontrollably.

I sneak a look back at Cassian, and he's now walking deeper into the alley and next to a fence with a huge black sign on it. There's a blood-red biohazard symbol painted with "Do Not Enter" printed in the same colour right under it. Taking out my phone, I get a good picture of it to look at later.

Cassian opens a door in the fence with a tiny rusted key-like contraption. He looks around again, and I lean back behind the building again. I feel my head getting hot even amid winter when I look back at my phone. I sent a quick text to my brother.

Me

hey, im not gonna be able to pick u up, im at nolani's

Stupid Baboon

k

I roll my eyes and grip my phone tight and look back at Cassian.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelp and jump at a raspy, deep voice. I spin around to face a buff person that easily towered over me. They resembled something of a bull that looked like it was about to tear me apart. I swallow hard and my eyes dart around, attempting to find an escape.

"Nothing, I was just... playing around," I give him my best fake smile and blink away tears that are now forming in the corners of my eyes. They study me and my attire from head to toe and nod skeptically.

"Well, you better leave soon, kid," they scowl at me and walk towards the fence, right behind Cassian. They also walk through the door in the fence. My mouth gapes while I watch them pull out the same key contraption as Cassian. As soon as he walks through that door, it's like he disappears. I can't see him anymore. Sneaking closer to the door, I make sure to notice anything strange and take pictures of anything creepy. As I reach the fence, I quickly realize that I'm not going to be able to climb and jump this thing, so I dig into my backpack to find a spare bobby pin. Finally finding it, I struggle to pick the lock on the fence. I take a picture of it and give it one last go before I turn around, and it finally opens.