Chapter 19

My brain goes numb as soon as I feel Lucifer's eyes on me. I freeze and just take some time to scan over my surroundings. It's dark, the only lighting is the old, worn-down overhead fluorescent lights.

The only piece of furniture is a sign with a biohazard symbol and a tattered sofa that was falling apart. I immediately recognized Lucifer's blazing brown eyes amongst the other four or five people in trenchcoats. His scar-ridden face is clouded with irritation and rage. The rest of the group dispersed and walked out of giant metal doors behind me.

"So, you think you're so heroic?" I jump at his harsh tone, "You didn't learn the first time you stuck your nose into someone else's business?" A muscle in my jaw twitches and I turn my nervousness into anger.

"What is it that you want so bad that you just had to kill your kid?"

"You act like he was born for any other reason than to keep the business afloat." Lucifer paced towards me and looked into my eyes, "I don't care about anyone's life." I scoff and take a step away from him.

"That's all everyone is to you, right? Just another part of whatever you do?"

"Did it take you that long to notice?" He takes another stride towards me. There's a fresh cut over his right eyebrow, the skin just starting to heal around it.

"Why did you want me here, anyway?" I step away again, gesturing to the large room, "Other than to tell me to mind my own business, that is." Lucifer reaches into his pocket and pulls out a gun. Oh no. My eyes flit around the room for any sort of weapon. I need to get out. Right now.

My eyes widen and my ears start ringing. This is the end, isn't it? Lucifer erupts into a psychotic laughing fit. Tears started forming in the corners of his eyes as his eyes gleamed with crazy. He's crazy. I'm not going to make it out. I slowly back away from him and attempt to get to the broken couch before Lucifer realizes.

Sharp flashes of pain course through my head make it hard to focus. My head feels like it's lifting, leaving reality. Everything feels muted, illusionary. Lucifer points his gun right at me, but I can barely perceive it. His body shakes with laughter and he pulls the trigger.

It's deafening. It's terrifying. My hands fly to my head. I'm not dead. I'm not dead.

But I should be.

Cassian's face flickers through my head. So pale. The feeling of his icy fingers once Lucifer was done. That should've been me.

Lucifer stumbles closer to me. It's finally making sense. This is right. This is how I bring closure. My body shivers and I hug myself, moving closer and closer to the metal doors to get away from Lucifer. Is this what needs to be done? Do I let Lucifer kill me? My fingertips skim over my bracelet and I remember Nolani. She's probably looking at my tracker right now.

I could click on the button and the police would be here after I die. That'll get Lucifer in jail. I click the button rapidly. Eyes glistening with tears, I think back to the last time I saw Nolani's face in her car. The last time I looked at my parents' faces. The last time I saw Arryn's face.

A sob escapes my mouth before I can stop it. Lucifer pointed the gun at my face again. I cover my mouth and remember Cassian's last words. "Make sure Mom's happy, that's all I ask." My whole body shakes as I finally crumble under the pressure. All Cassian ever wanted is for his mother to be happier. To get over alcohol. He trusted me to do that for him. But I can't. This would be the last time I'm letting him down.

Another gunshot. This one misses as well. Another sob. More laughter. This is what I have to do.

Cass would understand, right?

Before I could surrender, I heard loud bangs from outside the door. Then, sirens. The police. I aggressively run my fingers through my hair, not knowing what to do. I'm not dead yet.

"Kill me!" I shout at Lucifer. The invisible elastic in me snaps and the tears flow from my eyes like a stream. My voice is raw and strained. Like a dam that's been broken, the emotions come hurdling from me. Lucifer just watches me from the other side of the room, with a wild sneer plastered on his face. I let out a scream and tug at my hair. I can't do this anymore.

There are more bangs from directly behind the metal doors. I knock my head back on the door, dragging my hands over my tear-stained face. Muffled voices on the other side of the doors sound distant and Lucifer's cackling has started again. Was this what he wanted? This is why he wanted me here?

He aimed the gun at me once again. Right at my chest. Over my heart. The bangs on the door get louder and more aggressive. The door begins to budge. Lucifer cocks his head to the side and closes an eye to get more accurate. More banging. The doors burst open just as Lucifer pulls the trigger. I shut my eyes tightly and listen. My entire body shudders. I open my eyes again.

My body goes numb and a sea of red seeps through my shirt. The police started yelling at Lucifer, crowding around me.

And everything goes dark.