Chapter 4

I hitch a ride with Nolani this morning, and I just realized that she's really grumpy. So, as the great best friend I am, I asked her.

"Cassian's been acting weird," Nolani says. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

"You know how he is," I sigh, "He acts iffy at first, but he always comes around." We reach the university and Nolani looks for a parking spot.

"I do, but it's been like this for a long time now," Nolani's eyebrows are furrowed in confusion while she pulls into an open spot. "Do you think he doesn't like me, Eva?" I give her a look, but she just shrugs. If only she knew. I would tell Cassian that she liked him back if Nolani didn't make me promise I wouldn't tell him and vice versa.

"You're being stupid, Nolani," I shake my head and open the car door. I wave her a quick goodbye and hurry into the building because my feet felt like they were about to fall off from the cold. I stomp on the ugly carpets they have in the foyer and squeeze past the crowd and head to my math class.

I also start looking for Cassian to ask him about Nolani. I have a quite small build, so it's hard to look over the crowd that is very much on the verge of just trampling me.

"Are you looking for someone?" a familiar deep voice asks from behind me. My soul leaves my body on cue, gotta love being jump scared.

"Oh whoops," he said unapologetically, "Didn't expect you to get so scared by my awfully awesome presence." I shove him in the stomach.

"The reason I haven't ripped you in half is that I don't need two of you running around," I roll my eyes at him and walk to our lockers. Cassian grimaced and rubs his stomach where I pushed him.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed."

"I woke up on the wrong side of the Earth."

"Wow, okay," Cassian raises his eyebrows and we start putting our jackets and hats into the metal lockers.

"What happened, anyway?" He asks cautiously. I eye him warily, debating whether to tell him the full truth, but decided against it.

"Nolani was acting super grumpy this morning," I sigh and shut my locker and put my lock on it again. "I think that energy transferred to me." Shrugging, I wait for him to finish. He furrows his eyebrows as if he was in deep thought and puts away his backpack. He seemed to be going extra slow today as if he didn't want to go to math class.

"Cass, why are you being so slow today?"

"I'm not being slow, I'm just stalling," he closes his locker and slowly puts his lock on it. "I hate math so much." He's lying. But, by the look on his face, I don't want to question it. What's bothering him so much?