Chapter 10

I grin and wipe at my eyes before opening the door as quietly as I can. It creaks a little, but for the most part, the noise is pretty soft. I tiptoe in the snow and close the door as quietly and as slowly as I possibly could and eventually got it shut. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and lean on the fence, trying to slow my erratic breathing.

"Eva?" My shots at trying to calm down fail so hard once I hear Cassian's frantic voice whispering into my ear. I turn around to look at him. His eyes are wide as he tries to keep his voice down. Every breath I take seems harder to draw in and tears start flowing down my face.

"Cass, what's going on?" my voice is barely audible, but the brokenness was evident. He rubs a hand over his face and starts opening the fence back up again.

"Eva, you have to leave," he begs, "Just go, I'll be fine." I shake my head and weakly push him away.

"Cassian, what the hell is going on?" I shake my head with more force. He rakes a hand through his hair and tries to open the fence door again.

"It's nothing," His voice cracks, "Nothing's going on–"

"This doesn't seem like nothing," I interrupt him before he could start making up more lies, "You're a liar. You've been lying to me." Wiping at my eyes, I push him away again. He turns to look behind him and I could practically feel the panic rolling off of him in waves.

"Just stay here, please," he looks so sorry at this moment, "I'll explain when I come back. Eva, you're my best friend, I wouldn't lie to you on purpose. Just...please. This one time, give me a chance." I squeeze my eyes tight and wished that I would just wake up and find that this was just a nightmare, but I open them and see that I'm still in this pitch-black, snowy alley, with Cassian on the verge of tears standing in front of me. He looks back at me once before he jogs to the middle of this alley. I'm hidden well, in the darkness of the shadows, and I just watch.

Cassian looks straight at me then faces straight ahead after hearing footsteps in the snow. I slowly make my way near the wall for a better view when I see the bull guy I saw before.

"How's it going, kid?" There are a few other people that I see through the dim lighting, all in thick, black jackets.

"Nothing much, Lucifer," Cassian straightens his back and tries to keep his voice steady. The buff guy, "Lucifer", in the middle is passed a medium-sized brown box, which is then passed to Cassian.

"You know what to do," Lucifer voice bounces off the cave-like walls of the alleyway, and I notice a lot more of the biohazard symbols. On the walls, on signs, it's everywhere. I begin taking my phone out of my pocket but Lucifer takes a stride towards Cassian, making me drop it in the snow. I can see his face more clearly as he steps into the fading daylight that was providing the only light in the entire passage.

He looks like a monster, with a face littered with scars and scratches. He snarls at Cassian after sizing him up.

"So, I saw a girl earlier," he frowns at Cassian, "She seemed about the same age as you...You know her?" Cassian shifts his weight from foot to foot as he nervously looks around.