Chapter 8 - Cassian Henderson

The bell rings and the class immediately makes a run for the door as we all were pretty much tired of school. University is both a blessing and a curse. It's such a pretty Friday today, and we were not going to be missing any of it.

I sling my bag over my shoulder and follow my classmates out the door, Eva trailing closely behind me, we take the bus together, after all. We make our way to the bus stand in comfortable silence, and I decide to break it.

"So, how's Nolani?" I keep my eyes off Eva and her questioning gaze.

"Um, she's doing well," Eva says cautiously, "Why?"

"That's...good," I look out the window, "Just asking." I take a deep breath and take out my phone and earbuds to drown out the noise of the chatter on the bus. Eva opens her mouth but quickly closes it, realizing she's not going to get anything else out of me.

Rubbing my temples, I try to distract myself from the elephant in the room. I'm dealing drugs. Or, at least I think I am. I haven't seen what the drugs were, I haven't even seen who was dealing the stuff. I know it seems risky, but I wasn't getting any other job and this was the only opportunity I got. If I want to make things right with my mom, this is how I'm going to do it.

I think back to the day before, leaning back in the seat.

"The addresses are on this," a buff, tall man hands a ripped piece of paper to me, "Once you're done the orders, I want you to go straight home and not talk about anything to anyone. The usual." I nod, take the package and head towards the bluish-gray rusty car they gave me to help with my deliveries.

After closing the door, I take a good look at the medium-sized box, shaking it, not hearing a single sound from inside it. It was heavy, though, there has to be something inside it.

The bus stops and I take my earphones out. Mumbling a goodbye to Eva and watching her smile back, I head out. Today, I had to make a quick detour to the alley before I went home because I had an early delivery to make. I glance at the bus leaving and break out in a jog.