Chapter 3 - Cassian Henderson

My name is Cassian Henderson, and I need Eva's help right about now. I've had a teeny tiny crush on her best friend, Nolani, but I have no idea how to ask her. Nor do I want to, frankly. If Eva just finished up with her math that she was lying to me about, I could finally talk to her about the whole Nolani thing. When I was brand new to Nearview Collegiate, Eva and Nolani helped me out so much before I could finally make friends and talk to people on my own.

I rake my hand through my hair and tap on my desk with my keys. I should just forget about Nolani. She's not even worth it. My mom yells for me when it's time for dinner, and we both eat my mom's lasagna in silence. She looks up at me when she hears my fork clinking against the plate. Her brown eyes are just full of worry, like always. She hates this. I hate this. She thinks I can't handle myself. I kind of have to because it's not like anyone's going to do it for me.

"How's Eva?" My mom asks. I watch her pick up her now empty plate.

"She's fine," I reply curtly after clearing my throat. I walk over to the sink with my plate with my mom. I keep my head down when I wash the dishes and I hear my mom's footsteps while she's walking over to the couch to watch TV. I narrow my eyes at the plates and scrub a little harder when I hear her picking up another bottle.

"Those are bad for you, Mom," I never look up from the sink, but I know that she was looking at me and shaking her head.

"I know, Cass," was her only reply. Finally turning around, I watch her sigh and take another swig from the bottle. All I could do is swallow hard and just go back upstairs. And watch everything fall apart right in my eyes. Dropping down on my bed, I see that my phone has another message from Nolani:

Nolani:

u wanna do the psych project together??

Me:

oh i actually hav a partner

Nolani:

oh thats cool

Me:

yea maybe next time

Nolani:

sure

She hates me for sure, doesn't she? I sigh and decide to hop into the washroom for a hot shower.

I let the water douse me as I just think. How long am I going to have to hide things from people? I've been keeping secrets from everyone. From my mom, Nolani, and even Eva. But then again, I can't tell her that I'm basically in a drug trafficking gang.