Chapter Five

The god of fire, Zhurong, observed his senior brother's mortal reincarnation, the 13th Prince, from a corner of the small tent.  What exactly was going on?  Though Wudi was destined to suffer many hardships, this Princess was not part of those.  He was personally present when Fuxi wrote the god of war's Book of Life for this heavenly trial.  Not only was this Princess not a part of it, but no other love fate was written for the god of war.  Maybe Zhurong was mistaken.  He didn't have much experience with mortal love, so perhaps he was reading too much into his senior brother and this Princess's interactions.  Surely that was it.  Whether god or mortal, his senior brother wouldn't fall in love so easily.

The following morning, the 13th Prince informed the others that the Princess's fever was broken, and he would commence her training when she woke from her nap.  Not a single second could be wasted if they were to thwart the 8th Prince's schemes.  The Prince understood the 8th Prince's reasoning behind having the Princess murdered but disagreed with his methods.  Yinsi's mother was from the slave class, which meant nobles would never cast their complete support behind him.  Regardless of whether it was the Crown Prince or the 4th Prince, both their mothers were from banner families, which meant they were of pure noble and royal blood.  The Mongolian tribes would also never support a prince who wasn't from one of the banner families, especially one whose mother was a slave.  The Princess marrying one of the banner family princes would basically seal the 8th Prince's coffin.  In his mind, he couldn't allow it.

The only way to keep the Princess safe was for her to become the 13th Princess Consort.  He didn't care what her history said about his wife.  He would absolutely protect her, no matter the cost.  He decided to discuss his observations and theories with the 4th Prince.  Though he'd promised to keep the Princess's revelations about the future quiet, it didn't mean he couldn't use them to help his big brother.

"I believe I know who is targeting the Princess," the 13th Prince admitted.

"Who?" quickly asked the 4th Prince.

"The 8th Prince," answered Yinxiang.

"What reason could Yinsi possibly have to warrant the murder of a Mongolian Princess," the 4th Prince asked skeptically.

The 13th Prince answered simply, "Because his mother was a slave."

Realization dawned on Yinzhen's face, "The Mongolian tribes will never support the son of a slave."

"No. Not ever."

"Then the Princess truly is in serious danger."

Yinxiang couldn't agree more.  He knew how inferior the 8th Prince felt compared to the other princes.  Though Yinxiang's mother was born of the Yellow Banner Clan, she died early.  And she died an idealist with radical thoughts.  Which inevitably meant he did not have the support of his clan.  He knew what it was like to grow up unsupported in the palace.   And no matter how intelligent the 8th Prince was, he did not have the backing of a noble family.  This made every step he took towards the throne that much more precarious.  Why would the sacrifice of one Mongolian Princess matter to him?  Because without that Princess married to another prince he could still gain the support of the Mongolian tribes, if he became Crown Prince.  No one would care whether or not that Princess survived.  But, as of now, her survival mattered to the 13th Prince.

"I want to save her," Yinxiang informed Yinzhen.

"Do you realize how difficult it will be to keep her alive now that Yinsi wants her dead?" Yinzhen questioned.