Chapter Eleven

Lanying prepared many things for her trip to the orphanage today.  Just as the young man said, there are those in this world who need love.  She knew that better than most.  As an orphan, she was raised with very little of anything, including love.  This was the exact reason she chose to devote herself to the children's home.  Lanying's parents left her with financial stability plus some, so she was able to share.  It wasn't as though she spent it very often.  She lived on the profits from Jia Mingzhu.  

When her supplies were packed and she was about to leave, Bohai walked into the den.  He looked around, put his head in his hands, and sighed, "What's this now?  What great idea have you come up with this time that requires you to, apparently, empty our entire kitchen?"

"I'm going to donate my time and money to the orphanage and the children."

"And this will help you "handle" all those feelings?" He asked, shaking his head continuously.

"I believe so," she answered promptly.

"Great, then give me ten minutes and I'll be ready."

"You want to come?"

"How else do you expect to haul that junk there?  It may be your car, but you can't drive right now, remember?"

"Oh, right.  I'd forgotten.  Then hurry up, Bohai."

"Yes, MeiMei."

They arrived at the orphanage almost six hours later.  Bohai got dressed rather quickly, but the trip to the market took forever.  Everything they chose must be bought in bulk.  She didn't think this through thoroughly.  A few days of prep work wouldn't have been a bad thing.  A small delivery truck followed behind her car on the gravel drive.  As soon as they pulled into view, a swarm of children ran to greet them.  They instructed the delivery truck driver about where the kitchen was and wrapped the children in giant hugs all around.

The children's ages ranged from birth to seventeen at the orphanage, so it was challenging to find something to contribute that would please them all.  But Lanying came up with a few ideas.  She asked the children to take her to Matron Mother.  When they arrived at the hall of offices they could hear the whip of a paddle thumping.  Someone was in trouble.  Lanying peaked her head around the doorframe before Bohai could stop her.  A boy who looked to be in his teens was bent over Matron Mother's desk whistling while being walloped with a large wooden paddle.  The older lady was furious.

Lanying giggled and sat back against the wall.  This was great!  Matron Mother has a different troublemaking child now, so all her past transgressions could be wiped away, right?  As the boy stepped out of the office, Lanying gave him a big grin and a thumbs up.  Bohai slapped the back of her head.  The boy sat in a chair across from them, and Matron Mother stepped out of the office, panting and sweating, obviously worn out.  Lanying was rubbing the back of her head.  Matron Mother ran over to Bohai and scooped him into a big hug.  Lanying rolled her eyes.  The boy was quite amused to see this jiejie (big sister, older young girl) wholly ignored.  

"Matron Mother," Lanying said, bowing respectfully.  She knew she must receive the Matron Mother's stamp of approval for her plan to proceed, so she wasn't holding back.  "You look quite lovely today.  Did you get your hair done?"

"Lanying," the Matron said dryly.  "No, but now I know you want something.  I haven't changed my hairstyle for 40 years.  Whatever it is, no!"

The boy was quite shocked, though Matron Mother was strict she at least compromised when it came to him.  But she didn't even give this jiejie a chance.  What did she do to piss the Matron Mother off?  The young man beside her spoke softly to the elderly Matron, "Matron Mother, could you please hear her out first?  Just like the contract program with the restaurant, this idea of Lanying's will also benefit the orphanage greatly.  She's just come out of her coma, so, I don't even think she should be here.  But you know Lanying, she got an idea and insisted we come."