Chapter Sixteen

Ten days later...

She tried her best to pry her eyes open, but was shocked at how heavy they'd become.  She made a mental assessment of her body.  Everything seemed in place.  In fact, she felt wonderful.  The girl put in all her effort and finally forced her eyes open.  She was astounded. The room was magical.  It was built entirely of crystal.  Crystal walls, crystal furnishings, crystal embellishments; what was this?  She turned her head to the left, there stood two young men.  At least they looked young.  One was grey-haired with a youthful face, he stood tall, domineering.   The other was red-headed, green-eyed, and beautiful with a worried look about him.  She was confounded.

"Hello," she uttered finally.

"Hi, I'm your Teacher, Supreme Deity," explained the grey-haired youth. 

"And I'm Zhurong, god of fire, your senior brother," offered the red-headed young man.

She stared for a moment, then questioned the two men, "And I am?"

"Oh, right," said her senior brother, "You're Mingzhu."

"How do you feel?" asked her Teacher.

"Tired, though I think maybe I've been lying here a while."

"Ten days, but you're awake now.  Let's get you some food." Supreme Deity smiled.

"Food sounds wonderful."

They left the healing room and walked to the back courtyard of Palace Hall.  "This is where you'll be staying for now, what do you think?"

  "This is where you'll be staying for now, what do you think?"

Mingzhu was in awe.  A beautiful garden blossomed in front of her.  Tiny trees, trimmed shrubbery, flowers, a stone path with stone steps, boulders, a pond, a swing, and a gazebo, it was an incredible courtyard.  Was this really hers?  Was this man really that generous?  She needed to figure out who she was before she accepted anything from this man.

"I appreciate the offer, but before I accept, there are a few things I need to be explained to me."

"Absolutely, go ahead," answered Supreme Deity confidently.

"Who am I?" demanded Mingzhu.

"You are the third disciple of Supreme Deity," replied Zhurong quickly.

"But what does that mean?" asked Mingzhu.

"It means," Supreme Deity began, "that you are the third disciple of the highest-ranking god in the Nine Heavens and Four Seas, next to Tiandi of course.  It means, this is your courtyard, which you must stay in until you reach the rank of god.  It means that I have recognized your aptitude and found you suitable for the path of a supreme god.  Does that answer your questions?"

"Not really, you basically described your importance, not who I am.  Tooting your own horn!" she snorted, "But I can at least work with that.  You can go!"