Chapter 2

"Grandfather was so handsome. No doubt-" Ray bites her lips to stop the words from tumbling out. But looking at the expression on her grandma's face she sighs in relief. It doesn't matter to her grandmother anymore, a lifetime has passed since the incident. The dull ache at the bottom of her heart has passed and the quest for revenge that made her burn has been drowned by her poor health.

"Grandma you hate lilies. So why are you covered in lilies in this picture?" Asked the curious granddaughter.

"I am tired Ray, we will talk later," The old lady said lying on the bed. Ray tucked her grandmother giving a kiss on her wrinkly skin and went to switch off the lights.

"Ray, can you bring me my glasses and the book inside the trunk?"

The girl nodded and removed the book. Dusting it slightly and passing it to the old lady Jia.

"Night grandma," She said before closing the door.

Jis touched the old book, a bunch of memories rushed to her as she clutched the cover. Opening the page she found the old letter. It was a letter Adeel treasured so she never dared to throw it away. Keeping it in her draw she found the old photo she was looking for.

A girl standing with a young man who almost dwarfed her. Her face covered by the red veil that she sew herself and the wooden doll in her hand. She was in 10th standard when she got married. The marriage was sudden and she didn't like her husband at all. He was so rude to her. Always calling her a baby. But he was right, she was too immature. Where he loved making soulful conversations, she loved playing street cricket. He wrote long letters while she loved to confess it on her own. He was a genius in algebra and physics while she read the books of Tagore and Gandhi. An unlikely match.

***

46 years ago:

"Look at you Jia. You look like a homeless. How many times have I told you to not play with children who are younger than you? What will people say when they see a lady playing with kids? Think about your father's reputation for once" Jia's mother scolded her while peeling onions. Her mood already worse due to the irritation in her eyes.

"I don't have any friends at school. They don't like me. So I play with Tiya and Sonu" She continued excitedly playing with her two plates "And I am not a lady, I am 14 and a half this year Mumma. Why do you make me look so old?" She complained her eyes cast down stepping back a little in case her mother exploded.

"You are old enough to be married. At your age I was handling two homes, one your father's and the other my mother in law's. And these mother in law's is very cruel. Do you want her to find mistakes in my teachings? Do you want her to degrade your father's name?" She asked wiping the sweat away with her stawl.

"No Mumma I don't want a mother in law. Please don't send me to her house. Jia will be a good girl and help you around the house. But don't send me away... muah" Jia said crying loudly hugging her mother's shoulder. Jia had a classmate who got married in her class. The girl always cried in between the classes and refused to go back crying about how her mother in law always slapped her. And now she no longer comes to school because of pregnancy. Jia didn't want the same fate as she loved studying.

"Jia. Stop this drama and help me. Now" There was a strange calmness in her tone that scared Jia and she shut her mouth immediately. Baking loaves of bread and tea was how she normally spent her afternoon. Then after having snacks she went out to play with her friends.

"Appi* today is my doll's wedding. Will you help me make some dresses for her reception?" Sabrina, Jia's younger sister asked. Jia agreed and they started dressing up the doll for her farewell.

"Appi I wanted to make a leaf dress for her. Garima made it too at her doll's wedding. Please can you help me?" Sabrina pleaded

"Then I will go soon otherwise the auspicious time will pass," Jia said running away her plaits flying away with her.

Palm leaves were the most suitable for dresses. But unfortunately, it was a little far from home. So Jia had to run through the shortcut in the forest. The autumn wind eased her pace as she passed the branches sprinting at some points. The sun was setting and Jia realised she has passed the auspicious time. She didn't want her younger sister to be disappointed in her. So she ran and then found the tree standing tall at a distance.

"YES" Jia shouted excitedly and ran towards the tall tree. "I have to climb it now," She said to herself. Throwing her stawl on the ground she started climbing the tree. As she reached the top she balanced herself on the branch and tried to reach for the leaf. Suddenly a sense of dread made her hands shiver and then she heard a voice.

"Appi come down fast. Mother is very angry at you" Sabrina said. Jia jumped down without looking and had a safe fall. She then saw her sister's sad face, her eyes swollen due to crying and the rouge on her lips wiped off.

"I am sorry" Jia apologised but Sabrina huffed and led her to their home. Like an obedient kid, Jia followed her sister guiltily.

As she reached her home she saw many people gathered there. She looked around and saw her mother in the kitchen space. She decided to help her. But it was a bad idea. Because as soon as she reached her mother a tight slap landed on her face and the whole house turned silent. Just the murderous glint in her mother's eye remained as she shivered in dread. The guests have now stopped minding their own business and were excitedly watching her get scolded. She swore in her heart for revenge.

***

♥️