epilogue

Six months passed with Hasan in the blink of an eye. Somehow Ray had become dependent on Hasan. He drove her to college daily, cooked meals for her and even brought gifts occasionally. He sang every night and Ray recorded his voice in her recorder. Playing it sometimes as she practiced dancing with him.

Today was his first day in his office and when she saw him coming to pick her up she rushed towards him.

"How was your first day?" His smile gave her the answer and she squealed hugging him. This startled him but he went along with her patting her back as she rubbed her face on his shoulder like a puppy.

They broke out of the hug and Raine sat behind him hugging him as he started the bike. He didn't mind it and she liked it that way. Today was her last day in college and she felt extremely emotional as it was her last time with Hasan. She was going away soon and the thought made her feel depressed for some reason.

She sat infront of him feeling sad once again as he sang a new sing that night.

Lag ja galey k phir ye haseen raat ho na ho,
Shayad fir is janam m mulakat ho na ho,
Lag ja galey k phir ye haseen raat ho na ho,
Shayad fir is janam m mulakat ho na ho..

Lag ja galey e e e

Humko mili hai ye ghadiyan naseeb se,
Ji bhar k dekh lijiye humko kareeb se,
Phir aapke naseeb m ye baat ho na ho,
Shayad fir is janam m mulakat ho no ho,

Lag ja galey e e e

Raine saw tears in his eyes as he stared at her. She walked towards him and continued the song.

Paas aaye k hum nhi aayenge baar baar,
Bahen galey m daal kar hum roley zaar zaar,

She sat in between his legs and placed her head on his shoulder hugging him as tears dropped from her eyes.

Aankhon se phir ye pyaar ki barsaat ho na ho,
Shayad fir is janam m mulakat ho na ho...

Raine raised her head and slowly touched their lips for the first time. She tasted his bitter tears and tried to narrate her feelings through her lips as she sloppily kissed him. He embraced her and kissed her back passionately knowing this was the first and last time they ever kissed, he too conveyed his feelings through their first kiss.

***

Raine was at the airport standing in the line when her Grandma's words started repeating in her head.

"You are nothing like your grandfather Ray, I know that"

She was though, running away from her duties, family and... Hasan for her dreams. She covered her eyes with the shades as Hasan's desolate face flashed infront of her eyes once again. Her guilt was weighing her down and she was shivering trying to cover up her eyes which were bloodshot.

"Beta but don't you think it's too late to runaway. I mean you are married now. Hasan will face a lot of ridicule if you runaway alone...",

"Stop", She whispered to herself as Jiah's words started stabbing her gut. It was painful, she felt the same as her grandfather for the first time. Maybe she was just like him, a heart less girl who only cared about here own career. She wondered if her grandfather felt the same pain and guilt she was experiencing right now. Did he shed tears as he remembered his wife's sad face? Did he thought of returning? The thoughts were too much to bare as she realised maybe her grandma was right. She wasn't like him, she wasn't heartless enough to abandon her loved ones.

Ray tried to imagine the ridicule and embarrassment Hasan would face after a few hours and her heart ached as she imagined his lonely sad eyes.

Love me one day...

She remembered the phrase and this was the last straw for her. Raine stood up and wiped her tears, with a big smile on her she exited the airport to go back home.

***

She pushed open the door to her home and found Hasan sitting on the table having lunch. Her eyes shimmered with tears as she walked towards him and hugged his figure from back.

He stiffened then relaxed as soon as he heard her sweet voice.

"I couldn't leave", She said and he chuckled making her heart beat faster.

He laughed some more as if controlling his excitement and happiness which made Raine more emotional. She felt weak for him, he has become her weakness in the past six months. She never thought that a man's care would hinder her from pursuing her dream. Hasan somehow became a part of her dream.

She wanted to be a writer but now with him, she didn't want to miss his cooking, his singing or cuddling.

"Raine, I love you", He confessed finally, she nodded excitedly and tried to confess her heart as well.

"I don't know when but Hassan you took over my mind. Your cooking, cleaning and taking care of me is something nobody has done for me. You always knew which food I wanted. I was always expected to be the perfect girl, to take care of everyone. But there is a person who understood this girl's heart better than she could ever. And took care of her not expecting anything in return, even if you did you never said it out loud. I wish you had told me to stay but this was another thing that made me fall for you...

I love you Hassan, your heart is beautiful and not rotten like I thought before ", Raine said making him laugh. They both laughed happily finally content on having confessed each other's hearts. Her grandmother's love shone through her eyes as she stared at her lover and thought of her words once again.

Love me one day...

A phrase heavier than mountains. Too deep to be understood, it could only be felt. A lover's plea to be loved one day which was left unacknowledged by time.

***

Ten years later Raine became a best selling writer of the book 'Love me one day' which described the story of her grandmother who was forced to get married at a young age and fell in love with her husband loved another woman. How the love matured her into the wise she is today and how much she still loves and waits for her love to be reciprocated.

The story got global recognition and one day a news arrived. A letter addressed to Jiah first time in forty years.

Dearest wife,

I am at peace in America, my job is going well but I miss you a lot. It's been a month without you. How is the little one treating you? I promise to come back before his birth. I want to be there on their birth, our first child. This loneliness had made me realise how much you meant to me, Jiah.

I am thankful to Allah for gifting me a partner like you. Your love, care and beautiful smile is home for me. Wait for me...

Your's Adeel.

Tears dropped from Jiah's eyes as Raine read out the letter.

"He died one month later in an accident with Tara in his car. I thought they were lovers when I got the news. I was such a fool, how could I ever think that he didn't love me?", She cried out laughing in hysteria now.

"Ray your grandfather loved me", The woman said decades of suffering evident in her voice as she realised all her patience and love was reciprocated. That her husband was not a cheater, he wanted and loved her all along. But died too early in circumstances that broke their family and eventually her. Jiah fell down on the ground placing her head there with tears wetting her hijab. She thanked god in her sajdah realising alas god heard her pleas.

Ray hugged the old woman as she prostrated infront of her god. Thanking him for clearing her husband's image and fixing her broken conscience once again. She wished to meet him in the after life.

A blissful expression replaced her miserable face as the old woman closed her eyes ending her story on a happy note.

***

Well this is the end.

What are your thoughts?