Chapter 7

"Why did you call me here?" Raine asked Hasan who gave her a blank look then smiled sarcastically.

"Ofcourse to propose you, your majesty", His sarcasm made Ray choke and she slammed her fist on the table to control her anger.

"Please!!!" She exclaimed angrily  and stood up to walk away but Hasan stopped her by  pulling her hand bag.

"Wait", He said his eyes on the table, a grimace forming on his face. Raine rolled her eyes and sat back down.

"See... I don't  want to marry you ", Hasan said slowly searching her face for a hint of sadness but he saw nothing but excitement as she heard his words. She smiled brightly and nodded.

"Me too ahhh I am so happy you  too don't  want this stupid marriage to happen. I can't  imagine being married to a sarcastic clow-", She stopped herself midway and realised that she let her tongue slip way too much as Hasan was glaring at her with those big chocolaty eyes of his, the only feature of his that didn't aggravate Ray.

"Listen Missy your parents need the money and my parents want to keep me close so we need a good plan", He said with seriousness to which Ray nodded and started thinking of ideas.

"How about you tell your parents that you have a lover?" She suggested to which he laughed and replied.

"They will get us married the next second so that their name can't be soiled"

Ray sighed and thought for a second. 

"How about we runaway?" Her grand mother's words echoing in her mind to which Hasan gave a thoughtful look.

"Umm.. We can do that, but it will destroy our families reputations", He said with sad eyes, his statement aggravated Ray.

"When did you started caring about such things?" She taunted angrily not buying his good intentions.

"Ray I have three younger sisters, I don't  want to make their life any harder then it already is", He explained with a distraught look, looking like the elder brother he was. Ray had never witnessed the guy acting this mature before and it stunned her for real.

They were silent for a while. Thinking of ideas to escape out of this problem when Hasan's eyes widened and he excitedly slammed his hand on the table getting Ray's attention.

"How about having a fake wedding?" The idea was great, they could fool their family  without hurting them and even pursue their dreams.

"I love the idea", Ray agreed with a smile.

***

"Do you Raine Bin Siddique take Hasan Ahmed Khan for one lakh rupees on your own rights as your lawfully wedded husband?" The qazi (muslim priest) asked.

"Ji Qubool hai", Raine replied three times to the qazi's chant. (Yes, I do)

"Do you Hasan Ahmed Khan take Raine Bin Siddique for one lakh rupees on your own rights as your lawfully wedded wife?" The qazi asked Hasan who was silent for a while making him repeat. His mother shook him to which he nodded and said the two words thrice.

"Qubool hai, Qubool hai, Qubool hai", He felt his stomach churn as he said those words. His heart was agreeing unknowingly as he agreed to the chants thats what made him upset. In the eyes of Allah this marriage has taken place, but according to the law it was fake. The qazi here was not the one Hasan tipped, infact this was their cities most respected and pious man.

He read the astagfar not able to face his people as they took part in a farce. The papers were infact not registered.

He glanced towards his bride who was playing with the beads on her lehenga. Nervousness was killing him as his family congratulated them on their wedding. As the night got late they were taken into there beautiful wedding suite.

As soon as the door closed Ray dropped her veil making him gasp. She looked scary with the cakey makeup and ten layers of highlighter. He backed away as she approached him with a smile.

"Ahhhh stay away", He warned as she smiled knowingly and raised her hands in surrender.

"Alright hahahaa I told amma the makeup was too much but she was hellbent on making me look like a witch", She said laughing out loud as Hasan shook his head and went to the beautiful balcony.

Twenty minutes passed by when Ray joined him with a clean face still wearing the heavy lehenga.

"Why didn't you change?" He asked confused looking at her bright face still dolled up with the heavy ornaments.

"The same reason you didn't", She replied to which Hasan remained silent. They both enjoyed the sight from the beautiful balcony on their wedding night meters away from each other. Love was not in the air certainly. But tension was as they kept on stealing glances of each other. Ray noticing his jawline and dimple while Hasan noticing her beautiful eyes. It was weird for sure.

They went from enemies to a married couple.