Chapter 6

"But mother I am still in college. My friends will make fun of me and I don't even like Hasan", Raine cried as her mother shook her head sadly.

"Gudiya, I am sorry I tried my best to convince your father but he thinks Hasan is a suit able husband for you", Her mother replied trying to comfort her daughter with tearful eyes of her own. But Raine wasn't having it anymore. She ran out of the room slamming the door shut. This is something she could get in trouble for easily but today she wanted to vent out the twenty years of anger.

She felt sad and betrayed. Hasan wasn't a unlikable man, but the thing was they were two completely different people. She hated his guts and he loved to aggravate her. And she knew there wasn't anything romantic about it. Even though her mother had told her before that 'If he teased you, he liked you,' she felt like it was wrong. Therefore, she asked Jia about it. And Jia told her that Hasan was just a bully, and that believing in suchi stupid things lead to women getting beaten firing their marriage.

Rainey loved to read and had a knack for writing as well. Her eyes would brighten up whenever her pen would curve out the words in her mind. She could feel the lamp in her body lighten to the point that her hands would tingle. It was euphoria.

As Raine entered Jia's room she found her knitting a sweater.

"Daadi", Raine called out and ran towards the old woman who smiled as she engulfed the girl in her warmth.

They sat there silent both lost in their own worlds.

"I don't want to get married", Raine cried out piercing the old woman's heart. She experienced the same agony of marrying Raine's grandfather through those words. She clutched the girl's head to her heart as her heart ached. The generational trauma would never end, she felt.

Ray suddenly asked, trying to take her mind off of all the stress: "Grandma... Did grandfather love you?". Jia understood that and continued her story.

"He never said those words to me...", The old woman sighed and smiled at her adorable grand daughter.

"Maybe he was shy", Ray suggested to which Jia shook her head. And stood up to take out the letter she always treasured.

"Read this for me", she told Ray who happily obliged. As the light drew in the dark room Ray read the name of the person the letter was addressed to.

My dearest Tara,

Firstly, I apologize for everything. I never wanted to hurt you or break your heart. I wish you had given me a chance to explain. The girl I married is only a teenager and I did it because my parents had threatened to disown me. I never intended to hurt you and I truly love you. Jia doesn't mean anything to me. But Tara I love you, you were always my choice. A smart, bold and beautiful girl with a golden heart is someone I wished to live my life with. It's breaking my heart knowing that this letter would never reach you and my love would be stifled inside this letter forever. I care about you and now, even though looking after Jia is my responsibility, I wanted to tell you that I will never stop loving you.

Your's Adeel.

The little girl felt her heart ache as she read the letter and with a look of horror she asked her grandmother.

"Why didn't you burn this letter yet?"

This made Jia laugh at the girl's innocence.

"Ahh... Ray do you want to get married for real someday?" Jia asked her and Ray nodded making Jia smile at her maturity.

"I don't want to marry now. People would expect kids within a year and they would stop me from pursuing my dreams. Grandma... I want my story to be published someday. Jia could only look at little Ray with sadness when Ray said, "I want people to remember me after my death". She felt like a failure sitting there unable to do anything while her grand daughter suffered.

"I want your book to be published", she declared with determination in her voice. The old woman took out all her gold jewelry from the closet and handed them to Ray.

"What's this grandma?" Ray asked inspecting the jewelry.

"This is for you, I want you to run sway", Jia said with a serious look as anxiousness started feeding her. It was happening all over again but this time Ray would not have to deal with such harsh reality.

" Grandma are you serious?" Ray asked to which Jia nodded and hugged the girl to her chest.