Chapter 4

"Grandma, why are you still awake?" Ray asked. Jia who was staring at the window smiled at her sweet voice.

"When you grow old you lose hunger, greed and the need to sleep. I am just waiting for time to pass" Jia said with a hopeful look in her eyes.

"Grandma, are you awaiting death?" Ray asked caressing her grandma's legs.

"I... am tired of living" Jia continued " I  wanted to grow old with someone who loved me and walked with me till the end of the road, but that person broke his promise and left me stranded alone," Jia said wiping her eyes as the memory of the man replayed in her brain.

"Why did you love him, Grandma?" Ray asked curiously. Being a teenager she never had such an open conversation with her mother. But her grandmother was very cool about it. And Ray wanted to follow her grandma's teachings as Jia never imposed them on her.

"I never confessed my feelings to him. I felt it when he was gone" Jia said hugging her sweet granddaughter, the only person who enjoyed her company. Ray never treated her like an old burden.

"But why didn't you marry again?" Ray asked her grandma. She could feel the loneliness her grandma felt, her room was depressive. Like the refugee of a broken soldier who won countless wars alone. And when he came to a rest, he realised all the wars he fought were in vain.

Nobody cared about the old lady around the house. It was no secret. And the old lady never begged for attention. Just living an isolated life still grieving her late husband. Jia was an honest woman, she hated schemes and dramas, and stayed far away from them. Although her compartment was depressive, it felt homely. Maybe because the paintings that hung around the house or the love and compassion of the old lady made it home.

"I married him at a young age. He was the only man I learned to hate as a teenager, the man I learned to care for, the man I started being possessive over and the man I wish to be reunited too. I loved him because I knew him" Jia confessed as the old feelings resurfaced in her numb heart. She turned towards her young granddaughter.

"Why do you love that boy?" Jia fired back her question at Ray.

"I think he is cute and I like his soul. It doesn't matter, how the person looks. Because looks fade but the inner soul is what remains" Ray said trying to convince her grandma with words laced with wisdom.

"Nah. That's bullshit" Jia said standing up and walking to the window "Inner soul fades away faster than looks. It's advice from my own experience, remember it and love a guy who is gorgeous and finds you beautiful. You will live a happy life then" Jia said nodding at the awestruck young lady like a professor.

"What about love, grandma?" Ray asked the old Jia who smiled with a faraway sadness in her eyes as she observed the neighbourhood from her window.

"Aren't you too young to talk about love?" Jia asked Ray with a teasing glint in her eyes. Ray laughed and pleaded with Jia to answer.

"Nah. I am not in the mood dude" Jia answered laughing with the little Ray.

***

46 years earlier:

"No mama. I don't wanna marry him. He is very bad. I hate him" I said huffing loudly.

"Jiah" My mother shouted "Stay within your limits. It's not in your rights to decide. Your father made the decision so now shut up and go upstairs" She said without even looking at my tear-stained face. But I was a stubborn girl. I stood there angrily not moving a bit. She glared at me daring me to maintain eye contact with her. The greatest rebellion a daughter could do wasn't listening to her parents. I glared back at her.

"Eyes down" She shouted but my stubborn eyes didn't move an inch as her palm landed on my cheek. Tears falling as I kept my gaze locked with her not backing off.

She slapped me twice. But couldn't break me from glaring at her.

"I don't wanna marry him" I repeated. Thud. I landed on the ground and winced at the force of the slap.

"Shut up you ungrateful child," She said I could hear her voice breaking off in between her scoldings but she maintained a cold front. It's cruel how my parents wanted to get rid of me. A forced marriage is bound to break any day. Because the basis of a union should be at least friendship. I and Adeel were mere strangers.
Incompatible in every sense.

***

Jia sat in her room playing with her doll when Sabrina entered. Sabrina sat beside her playing with her doll as they fell in comfortable silence.

"Appi are you getting married?" Sabrina asked. Jia nodded glaring holes in her doll.

"You know when Tanzeel Appi got married, her husband always fought with her," Sabrina said. Jia hugged her doll and then her eyes became moist.

"What if Adeel also fought with me?" Jia voiced her worries.

"Then you can always complain to his parents" Sabrina suggested and Jia's eyes lighted up.

"Yes, you are right. I will make sure that he will get lots of scoldings" Jia said her eyes filled with mischief and hope.

"But he will never let you rule. He will always try to rule you, mark my words" Sabrina warned her innocent eyes turning mature as she advised her elder sister.

"You also mark my words I will never obey his words. I am my ruler" Jia said her eyes proud of her strong will. Jia wasn't the type to submit easily unless she was at advantage.

"But who will talk to me after your farewell?" Sabrina complained her voice emitting sadness.

"Think about me. Who will talk to me?" Jia complained back. Sabrina shook her head and laughed at her elder sister who was far more immature than her.

***

So this is chapter 4. I hope you liked it.

What're your thoughts about Jia?

While reading the chapters I felt something was missing 😔. Any suggestions?

The main reason for writing this book is to improve my writing style by working on a plot that's more complex and different than the plots I usually write. I hope you are enjoying the story so far. Do tell me if you find Jia relatable as a grandparent.

Vote, Comment and Share.

And I love you guys♥️