Chapter 14

Laura was so doggone tired! She was nearly ten months pregnant and was running around like she was alone in her body.

She came in the house and went about putting her work things up. She went to see about the kids but they were playing quietly in the playroom.

She gathered her things for her classes and went to the dining room. Maddie was inside, doing her work. "Hi, sweetie."

"Hi, Laura." Maddie frowned behind her glasses.

"How was your morning?"

"Boring."

"Why?"

"Most of my lectures have just been about what's going to be on the finals."

Laura bobbed her head as she sat down. She understood. Finals were in two weeks. "But then it's Christmas."

Maddie wiggled happily. "Yay!"

"Yay."

"When are we decorating the house?"

"This weekend."

"Marcy already did hers."

"What?" Laura stopped setting up.

"Marcy did hers this weekend."

"How?"

Maddie shrugged.

"How do you know?"

"She told me. I called her yesterday and she said she was putting the finishing touches on her house. All they need is a tree."

Laura could have died.

"Are we going to take pictures ever again?"

"Pictures?"

"For our Christmas card."

Laura blinked, chewing on her top lip. "Yes."

"When? We also have to send out our parts to the newsletter."

Laura was so overwhelmed. It wasn't even fully December yet and she was stressed.

ATUA

Mercedes could have died. "What?!"

"What?" Quinn tried to hear.

Mike lifted his book as if that'd hide him.

Mercedes sat up more in bed. "How could she be done already? It's not even the first yet!"

"Done with what?" Quinn groaned.

"Marcy's house is decorated for Christmas!"

Quinn gasped in outrage. "How?!"

Mercedes listened on her phone. "Laura says Maddie said Marcy said Friday."

Quinn kissed her teeth. "That's not fair!"

"You are?"

Quinn frowned in confusion. "What's she saying?"

Mercedes held up her index finger. "We'll do it, too but we're not going with Keke. I know but I want a winter wonderland." She sighed heavily. "Yes, Laura."

Quinn waited impatiently for her to get off the phone. "What's going on?!"

"Laura says she's hiring a professional decorator so I said we would, too but not Keke but Laura said we have to support small businesses."

Quinn wrinkled her nose.

"Yeah."

"I want to visit Marcy and see their house."