Chapter 18

Mal watched his wife as she set things up in the ballroom. They were having the New Year's Eve party in there. The nannies had the children but she and Bria were speaking a mile a minute in Romanian as they worked out how the party was to go down.

He debated interrupting but didn't really want to. She was doing well and he didn't want to stop her flow for no good reason.

He'd spoken with both Karou and Paris and both Yuria and Jude were back to their old selves. He wondered how Po had known the trio had only needed a few days of peace. Then again, maybe Po knew from personal experience? He was a murderer after all.

Mal shook those dark thoughts from his head as he watched his wife flit around the cavernous room, decorating. And it was beautiful. The room sparkled and shone like a dark diamond.

A throat cleared behind him so he looked back to see Pendleton. "Yes?"

"The caterer is here to cement the menu." The old man bowed.

"Show her in."

Pendleton nodded once before leaving.

Mal turned to watch his wife for a few seconds more before going to ruin his children's solitude.

ATUA

"I have nothing to wear to this party!" Santana could cry.

Artie could tell. "What about that?"

She picked out the red dress. "No! Everyone's wearing metallic colors to this thing! Patti said!"

He almost frowned but realized what she'd said. "I'm wearing black."

"The girls, Jimi..." She drawled.

"No fighting!" Brittany growled.

He couldn't win for nothin! He threw up his hands. "Go shopping then!"

Both girls perked up. "Ooh!"

He looked at them flatly.

"Good idea, Jimi!" Santana went to her handbags and picked one out.

"We should call Sadie and Quinn." Brittany did the same.

"Best friend shopping spree?"

"Yay!"

Artie arched a brow. When did it turn into a spree? Then he shrugged. As long as he didn't have to go, he was good.

ATUA

Laura held a dress up to Wen but ultimately didn't like it for the party the next day. "Maybe we should go shopping?"

"Shopping?" Wen hadn't gone shopping too many times with Laura so she was unaware of how tasking it could be.

"Yeah. I don't like any of these dresses for tomorrow night."

Wen was so excited to be going to the party. She didn't care what she wore. "Can I wear black?"

"As long as it sparkles. Tia Marcy said so."

Wen beamed. "Let's go!"

ATUA

Laura walked into the store with Wen and Luna. The owner walked over with a smile. "Very good to see you again, Mrs. Taylor-Jones. What are we looking for today?"

"We need dresses for tomorrow." Laura stated clearly.

Since the store was so expensive, a lot of the clothes they had was still in stock. "Please follow me."