𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

I have a feeling I've already done this gif, but whatevs 

I did a little workout before publishing this chapter, and I'm D E A D. 

Time for another bowl of raw cookie dough. 

enjoy✌️

─✧─

After lunch at their favorite restaurant, they headed to the location where the chess competition would be held. They invited On Ji to tag along, who had agreed.

They entered the arena and took a moment to observe the arena. There were rows of tables lined up in the center of the room, chess boards on either side.

"I've never been to a chess competition before," On Ji said.

Suki chuckled, "We've to our fair share of competitions, especially since Toph is so enthusiastic about playing chess."

Toph came up to them, "It's starting in a few minutes."

Aang crossed his arms, "I suppose you conveniently left out the fact that it's a full-on tournament, with chess players from all over the Earth Kingdom."

Toph shrugged, "Suppose I did. But what did you expect from me? I have standards."

"Good luck," Sokka chuckled.

"Not that I'll need it," Toph said with a smug smile in return. She turned to observe the other competitors. Her eyes widened when she recognized a familiar face as they entered the room.

"Toph? Are you okay?" Sokka asked.

Toph turned back to her friends, "Yeah, I'm fine. One of the spectators for the tournament is Yu, one of my old chess instructors. He shouldn't be much of a problem."

"Do you think he might have some connections to your parents?" Zuko asked.

"It's certainly possible," she confirmed. Her face paled when another familiar person walked in, "Oh no."

Katara followed Toph's gaze, "Who are they?"

"Xin Fu," she replied, her eyes narrowing. "We have yet to duel each other in a chess game. I've gone against nearly everyone in the room except him."

"This'll be interesting," Sokka said, rubbing his hands together.

"Sure will be," Toph said, making eye contact with Xin Fu across the room. She took a seat at one of the tables, and Xin Fu took a seat across from her.

Her friends took a seat in the front row, giving Toph a thumbs up before it began.

One of the spectators walked up the podium and took the microphone. They gave a quick speech welcoming them to their annual chess tournament and explained the rules.

"...any cheating will not be tolerated. We have multiple spectators overseeing each game to ensure so. Severe consequences will follow to anyone who even attempts to do so."

The competitors nodded their heads in response.

"Now that we have made that clear, let us begin the tournament!" he said.

The timer began, and the first player made their first move. Toph's friends watched in earnest when it was her turn.

Toph's face remained expressionless as she slid a pawn forward without any hesitation.

Now, On Ji had never been to a chess tournament, but the suspense was killing her! This was exactly why she preferred sports. Long games like these always had her brain frying.